Relational contract theory and management contracts: A paradigm for the application of the Theory of the Norms
AbstractThis paper examines management contracts as a paradigm for the application of relational contracts theory and especially of the theory of contractual and relational norms. This theory, deriving from Macauley's implications, but structured and analysed by I.R. MacNeil gives us a framework for the explanation and understanding of contractual obligations and business relations' rules and practice. After presenting the key literature about the norms theory and especially defining the content of MacNeil's norms, we define management contracts as relations, characterised by a high relational element and we explain why, investigating all their features, which make them a suitable object for an application of norms theory. Then, we select a list of the core obligations for the recipient, provider and both parties in such a relation and we analyse each obligation according to MacNeil's model of norms. Specifically, we test the application of specific relative norms to each obligation and we examine which norms appear in which obligation. Finally, we concentrate our results and we result to our conclusions, based on a matrix showing the strength, breadth and depth of the application of each norm, while we also compare our results to those coming up from the application of a shorter comprehensive model of norms (Austen-Baker's model). The above analysis and tests provide us valuable results about the application, significance and practical value of the theory of the norms, about the significance of each norm for business relations and finally about the potential to present a more useful and comprehensive model of norms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24028.
Date of creation: 16 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Relational Contracts; Macneil; Management Contracts; Norms; Contracts Law; Fiduciary Duties; Directors Duties; Law and Economics; Umbrella Contracts; Interorganisational Trust; Business Cooperation; Reciprocity; Contractual Solidarity; Comprehensive Norms; Contractual Norms; Outsourcing Contracts; relational contracts theory; hotel management agreement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- K00 - Law and Economics - - General - - - General (including Data Sources and Description)
- K12 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Contract Law
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randolph Sloof & Joep Sonnemans, 2009.
"The Interaction between Explicit and Relational Incentives: An Experiment,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-030/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sloof, Randolph & Sonnemans, Joep, 2011. "The interaction between explicit and relational incentives: An experiment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 573-594.
- Bernstein, Lisa, 1992. "Opting Out of the Legal System: Extralegal Contractual Relations in the Diamond Industry," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 115-57, January.
- Morten Hviid, 1998. "Relational Contracts, Repeated Interaction and Contract Modification," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 179-194, March.
- Kambale Mirembe, Omer, 2013. "Customs reforms in eastern Congo (DRC): Between norms and practices," IOB Working Papers 2013.04, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.