The Impact of Oil Prices on the Real Exchange Rate of the Dirham: a Case Study of the United Arab Emirates
AbstractThis study investigated the impact of oil shocks on the real exchange rate of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) dirham. Time series data were used for the period 1977 to 2007 covering four important oil shocks. Five variables have been used in this study, with the real exchange rate of the dirham as the dependent variable and the gross domestic product per capita, oil price, trade balance, and foreign direct investment inflows as the independent variables. In this study we used the Johansen-Juselius cointegration procedure, and conducted the Granger causality tests based on the VECM. Through this research, we found that a fixed exchange rate to the U.S. dollar is not an appropriate exchange rate regime for the UAE. This is because when the price of oil increases, and with a fixed exchange rate regime, this would lead to rapid growth in GDP and liquidity in the UAE economy. This in turn causes domestic prices to increase, which results in high levels of inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23493.
Date of creation: 23 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
oil Prices; real exchange rate; UAE; VAR;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2010-07-03 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-ENE-2010-07-03 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2010-07-03 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2010-07-03 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-07-03 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Garratt & Kevin Lee & M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 2003.
"A Long run structural macroeconometric model of the UK,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 412-455, 04.
- A Garratt & K Lee & M Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 2004. "A long run structural macroeconometric model of the UK," ESE Discussion Papers 35, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Garratt, A. & Lee, K. & Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1998. "A Long-run Structural Macro-econometric Model of the UK," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9812, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sánchez, Marcelo, 2008. "Oil shocks and endogenous markups: results from an estimated euro area DSGE model," Working Paper Series 0860, European Central Bank.
- Torsten Schmidt & Tobias Zimmermann, 2007. "Why are the Effects of Recent Oil Price Shocks so Small?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0029, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 1999. "Oil price shocks and stock market activity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 449-469, October.
- U Patel & P Srivastava, 1997. "The Real Exchange Rate in India: Determinants and Targeting," CEP Discussion Papers dp0323, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert A. Amano & Simon van Norden, 1995.
"Oil Prices and the Rise and Fall of the U.S. Real Exchange Rate,"
- Amano, R. A. & van Norden, S., 1998. "Oil prices and the rise and fall of the US real exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Tang, Weiqi & Wu, Libo & Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2010.
"Oil price shocks and their short- and long-term effects on the Chinese economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(Supplemen), pages S3-S14, September.
- Tang, Weiqi & Wu, Libo & Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2009. "Oil price shocks and their short- and long-term effects on the Chinese economy," MPRA Paper 14703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Weiqi Tang & Libo Wu & ZhongXiang Zhang, 2009. "Oil Price Shocks and Their Short- and Long-Term Effects on the Chinese Economy," Economics Study Area Working Papers 102, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Virginie Coudert & Valérie Mignon & Alexis Penot, 2008. "Oil Price and the Dollar," Post-Print halshs-00353404, HAL.
- Chang, Youngho & Wong, Joon Fong, 2003. "Oil price fluctuations and Singapore economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1151-1165, September.
- Jorge Carrera & Romain Restout, 2008.
"Long Run Determinants of Real Exchange Rates in Latin America,"
- Jorge Carrera & Romain Restout, 2008. "Long Run Determinants of Real Exchange Rates in Latin America," Working Papers 0811, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Gisser, Micha & Goodwin, Thomas H, 1986. "Crude Oil and the Macroeconomy: Tests of Some Popular Notions: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(1), pages 95-103, February.
- Peter Ferderer, J., 1996. "Oil price volatility and the macroeconomy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-26.
- Almukhtar S. Al-Abri, 2013. "Oil price shocks and macroeconomic responses: does the exchange rate regime matter?," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 37(1), pages 1-19, 03.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland, 2009.
"Oil Price Shocks And Stock Market Booms In An Oil Exporting Country,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(2), pages 232-254, 05.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland, 2008. "Oil Price Shocks and Stock Market Booms in an Oil Exporting Country," Working Paper 2008/16, Norges Bank.
- Hamilton, James D, 1983. "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War II," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 228-48, April.
- Keith Sill, 2007. "The macroeconomics of oil shocks," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Q1, pages 21-31.
- Murat, Atilim & Tokat, Ekin, 2009. "Forecasting oil price movements with crack spread futures," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 85-90, January.
- Ramcharran, Harri, 2002. "Oil production responses to price changes: an empirical application of the competitive model to OPEC and non-OPEC countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 97-106, March.
- Jbir, Rafik & Zouari-Ghorbel, Sonia, 2009. "Recent oil price shock and Tunisian economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1041-1051, March.
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng & Chen, Hung-Chyn, 2007. "Oil prices and real exchange rates," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 390-404, May.
- C. Baumeister & G. Peersman, 2008.
"Time-Varying Effects of Oil Supply Shocks on the US Economy,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
08/515, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Christiane Baumeister & Gert Peersman, 2013. "Time-Varying Effects of Oil Supply Shocks on the US Economy," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 1-28, October.
- Christiane Baumeister & Gert Peersman, 2012. "Time-Varying Effects of Oil Supply Shocks on the U.S. Economy," Working Papers 12-2, Bank of Canada.
- Gert Peersman & Christiane Baumeister, 2009. "Time-Varying Effects of Oil Supply Shocks on the US Economy," 2009 Meeting Papers 171, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Surender Kumar, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Price Shocks: Empirical Evidence for India," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 15-37.
- Lee, Kiseok & Ni, Shawn, 2002. "On the dynamic effects of oil price shocks: a study using industry level data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 823-852, May.
- Rautava, Jouko, 2004. "The role of oil prices and the real exchange rate in Russia's economy--a cointegration approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 315-327, June.
- Eisa Aleisa & Sel Dibooĝlu, 2002. "Sources of real exchange rate movements in Saudi Arabia," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 101-110, March.
- U. Patel & P. Srivastava, 1997. "The real exchange rate in India: determinants and targeting," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20360, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alessio Anzuini & Patrizio Pagano & Massimiliano Pisani, 2007. "Oil supply news in a VAR: Information from financial markets," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 632, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.