Managing India's Foreign Exchange Reserve: A preliminary exploration of issues and options
AbstractSince mid-nineties, India’s foreign exchange reserves (FER) – both nominal and real adjusted for price level – started growing considerably and reached a new peak of US$ 251985 million in 2008-09. The fact that such unprecedented accumulation of FER build-up has materialized despite India's balance of payment on its current account being mostly negative, has raised debates on the major potential challenges for Indian Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF), in case they come to existence. Using the two measures of reserve adequacy - the ratio of reserves to short-term external debt and ratio of reserves to broad money – the study indicates “too much” of reserves build-up for the Indian economy particularly since 2002, suggesting thereby that India has substantial amount of surplus reserves. Given the fact that India’s current account balance is worsening for the last couple of years, it could be noted that the increase in India’s FER has been caused by speculative capital inflows on the capital account. In other words, the reserve is very much exposed to potential sudden outflows by foreign investors and any decision should be taken keeping this perspective into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22873.
Date of creation: 24 May 2010
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Blundell-Wignall & Yu-Wei Hu & Juan Yermo, 2008. "Sovereign Wealth and Pension Fund Issues," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 14, OECD Publishing.
- Park, Donghyun & Estrada, Gemma, 2009. "Developing Asia's Sovereign Wealth Funds and Outward Foreign Direct Investment," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 169, Asian Development Bank.
- Singh, Lakhwinder & Jain, Varinder, 2009. "Emerging Pattern of India's Outward Foreign Direct Investment Under the Influence of State Policy: A Macro View," MPRA Paper 13458, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Lakhwinder & Jain, Varinder, 2009. "Emerging pattern of India's outward foreign direct investment under influence of state policy: A macro view," MPRA Paper 13439, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.