Myopic investment view of the Indian mutual fund industry
AbstractThis paper examines the investment behavior of Indian mutual fund industry. Since the majority of investors who invest in mutual funds are salaried individuals or individuals that own SMEs, the Indian Mutual Fund industry should have a long term investment horizon. However, the data from all mutual funds for the periods December 2007 to May 2008 and December 2008 to May 2009 reveals that the mutual fund industry has adjusted its position on a short term basis in tandem with the short term volatility of the market. The findings substantiate the SEBI Chairman’s observation that there is an urgent need to set up investment norms with regard to the holding period for stocks owned by the Indian mutual fund industry
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22458.
Date of creation: 02 May 2010
Date of revision:
Mutual Fund; short term volatility; asset under management; investment churn.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Ferruz Agudo & Cristina Ortiz Lázaro, 2005. "Does Mutual Fund Management in India Correspond to its Investment Objective Classification?," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(04), pages 659-685.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Schmidt, Ulrich, 2005.
"The Use of Trading Strategies by Fund Managers: Some First Survey Evidence,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-314, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Ulrich Schmidt, 2005. "The use of trading strategies by fund managers: some first survey evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(15), pages 1719-1730.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.