Onshore and offshore market for Indian Rupee: recent evidence on volatility and shock spillover
AbstractThe paper empirically examines the onshore-offshore linkages of the Indian rupee using recently developed multivariate GARCH techniques. The empirical results show that offshore non deliverable forward (NDF) market does not have mean spillover impact on onshore spot, forward and futures market while shocks and volatilities in NDF market influence the onshore markets. The magnitude of volatility spillover from NDF to spot market, which was lower earlier, became higher after the introduction of currency futures in India. This is probably due to the fact that large arbitrage had taken place between futures and NDF market in recent past. Hence, the study suggests the close monitoring of both the onshore and offshore markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22247.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Non deliverable forward; volatility spillover; multivariate GARCH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-05-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-IFN-2010-05-02 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colavecchio, Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2008.
"Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-648, December.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20803, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Colavecchio , Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2006. "Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20812, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Hideki Izawa, 2008.
"An Empirical Test of the Efficiency Hypothesis on the Renminbi NDF in Hong Kong Market,"
Kobe Economic & Business Review,
Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 52, pages 1-6, February.
- Hideki Izawa, 2006. "An Empirical Test of the Efficiency Hypothesis on the Renminbi NDF in Hong Kong Market," Discussion Paper Series 196, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Park, Jinwoo, 2001. "Information flows between non-deliverable forward (NDF) and spot markets: Evidence from Korean currency," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 363-377, August.
- John Cairns & Corrinne Ho & Robert McCauley, 2007. "Exchange rates and global volatility: implications for Asia-Pacific currencies," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Guonan Ma & Corrinne Ho & Robert N McCauley, 2004. "The markets for non-deliverable forwards in Asian currencies," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Patrick Higgins & Owen F. Humpage, 2005. "Nondeliverable forwards: can we tell where the renminbi is headed?," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Sep.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.