Recent financial crisis in Malaysia: response, results, challenges
AbstractThis paper was one of the first writings that appeared on the subject and presented at a local conference while pending publication with the Indian Economic Journal.After a brief Introduction, Section 2 discusses broadly the process used for generating the data used for analysis as also the position of Malaysian economy during the crisis. Section 3 deals with controls as a tool for managing the financial turmoil. Section 4 argues, on the basis of results, that for Malaysia the imposition of controls was a better course of action than seeking help from the IMF. Section 5 makes brief reference to some challenges including the issue of dollar-ringgit peg. Section 6 contains a few concluding remarks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21844.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision: 2000
Publication status: Published in The Indian Economic Journal 1.49(2001): pp. 28-49
Financial crisis; short-term foreign capital flight stock market fall; currency depreciation; capital controls;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Kian-Ping Lim & Evan Lau & Chee-Keong Choong, 2003.
"Exchange Rate – Relative Price Relationship: Nonlinear Evidence from Malaysia,"
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Kian-Ping Lim & Evan Lau & Chee-Keong Choong, 2003. "Exchange Rate – Relative Price Relationship: Nonlinear Evidence from Malaysia," International Finance 0312001, EconWPA.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2005:i:11:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Chee-Keong Choong & Evan Lau & Kian-Ping Lim, 2005. "Exchange Rate – Relative Price Nonlinear Cointegration Relationship in Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(11), pages 1-16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.