Um ensaio sobre expectativas da taxa de câmbio no Brasil
[An essay on the foreign exchange rate expectations in Brazil]
AbstractThis article analyses the behaviour of the brazilian exchange rate (Real/US dollar) and the corresponding values forecasted by the market agents, from 2001 (november) to 2004 (may). We use the data-base of the Brazilian Central Bank, called “Sistema de Expectativas de Mercado”, which has been created in 1999. We evaluate the rational expectations hypothesis (REH) for the exchange rate market, comparing the mean value predicted by some brazilian financial institutions with the daily exchange rate that has really occurred (PTAX). The particular arrangement of the data-base allows us to make the analysis in two different ways: with fixed-event forecasts and also with “rolling-event” forecasts. The main result suggests that the brazilian exchange rate market support the weak form of the REH, for short horizons of forecasting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 20840.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Revista Brasileira de Finanças 1.1(2005): pp. 55-100
taxa de câmbio; volatilidade; expectativas racionais;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Bakhshi & G. Kapetanios & T. Yates, 2005.
"Rational expectations and fixed-event forecasts: An application to UK inflation,"
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 539-553, October.
- Hasan Bakhshi & George Kapetanios & Anthony Yates, 2003. "Rational expectations and fixed-event forecasts: an application to UK inflation," Bank of England working papers 176, Bank of England.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Anthony Yates, 1998. "Are UK inflation expectations rational?," Bank of England working papers 81, Bank of England.
- Paquet, Alain, 1992. "Inflationary expectations and rationality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 303-308, November.
- Grant, Alan P. & Thomas, Lloyd B., 1999. "Inflationary expectations and rationality revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 331-338, March.
- Forsells, Magnus & Kenny, Geoff, 2002. "The rationality of consumers' inflation expectations: survey-based evidence for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0163, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.