Microbanks: Ownership, performance and social tradeoffs - a global analysis
AbstractSuppliers of microfinance are typically Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), cooperatives or specialized microfinance institutions incorporated as Shareholder Firms (SHFs). Leaving out the cooperatives we study whether NGOs and SHFs differ in bringing along social benefit to their clients. Specifically, is there a trade-off between different dimensions of social benefits, and can these tradeoffs predict ownership type? To frame the comparison of NGOs and SHFs we make use of Schreiner’s (2002) framework for discussion of the social benefits of microfinance. A self constructed dataset with unusually high-quality rating information from 132 NGOs and 68 SHFs in 53 countries is used to carry out the statistical tests. Our findings indicate that SHFs and NGOs are more similar than different. Our hypothesis that NGOs are more socially oriented than SHFs is rejected. SHFs’ benefit in scale and scope seems not related to ownership, but to legal constraints impeding NGOs to mobilize savings. Our second conclusion is that we cannot find a trade-off among outreach variables. Specifically, the return on assets is higher in NGOs. We conclude that ownership doesn’t influence the performance of microfinance organizations. Our conclusion is in line with findings in the general banking industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 2063.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Microfinance; outreach tradeoffs; transformation; commercialization; ownership; corporate governance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-10 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2007-03-10 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Crespi, Rafel & Garcia-Cestona, Miguel A. & Salas, Vicente, 2004. "Governance mechanisms in Spanish banks. Does ownership matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2311-2330, October.
- Stijn Claessens & Erik Feijen, 2006. "Financial Sector Development and the Millennium Development Goals," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7145, October.
- David Mayers & Clifford W. Smith, 2005. "Agency Problems and the Corporate Charter," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 417-440, October.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Inoue, Takeshi & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2011. "Financial permeation as a role of microfinance : has microfinance actually been helpful to the poor?," IDE Discussion Papers 299, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Marek Hudon, 2010. "Management of microfinance institutions: Do subsidies matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 890-905.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.