Wolfgang Mühlpfordt and the ‘transformation problem’: some remarks on articles by Howard and King and Gilibert
AbstractUntil recently, the name of Wolfgang Mühlpfordt (1872-1928) was certainly not among those a theoretical economist was expected to know. Mühlpfordt has now been rehabilitated not only in the Cambridge Journal of Economics (Howard and King: 1987 and Gilibert:1991), but also in the German Jahrbücher für Nationalökonomie und Statistik (Quaas:1991). There are many points of correspondence between my own interpretation and the assessments of Mühlpfordt by Gilibert and by Howard and King. However, I believe it is possible to add some further remarks and also to make some corrections. We do not know why Mühlpfordt did not react to Bortkiewicz's famous articles (1907), to which he would certainly have had something to say. Mühlpfordt was more advanced than Bortkiewicz, since his mathematical approach is of more general validity and he prepared the way for the modern theory of production prices which is now associated with, among others, the name of Piero Sraffa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 20228.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision: 24 Jan 2010
transformation problem; Wolfgang Mühlpfordt; Ladislaus von Bortkiewicz; labour theory of value;
Other versions of this item:
- Quaas, Friedrun, 1994. "Wolfgang Muhlpfordt and the "Transformation Problem": Some Remarks on Articles by Howard and King and Gilibert," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 323-26, June.
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- B16 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Quantitative and Mathematical
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quaas, Friedrun, 1991.
"Wolfgang Mühlpfordt - ein Vorgänger von Bortkiewicz? Zu den theoretischen Quellen des sogenannten Transformationsproblems
[Wolfgang Mühlpfordt as an predecessor of Bortkiewicz. Concerning the th," MPRA Paper 20348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Howard, M C & King, J E, 1991. "Dr Muhlpfort and the 'Transformation Problem': A Reply," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 355-58, September.
- Howard, M C & King, J E, 1987. "Dr Muhlpfort, Professor von Bortkiewicz and the 'Transformation Problem.'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 265-68, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.