Dynamic Pairs Trading Strategy For The Companies Listed In The Istanbul Stock Exchange
AbstractIn this research we performed pairs trading strategy based on a comparative mean reversion of asset prices with daily data over the period 2002 through 2008 in Istanbul Stock Exchange. We did not categorize stock pairs by sectors and therefore it is possible to observe mean reversion characteristics of different stocks that are selected from ISE-30 index. The initial formation period is 125 days (approx. 6 months) while we measure the performance results daily. Then both formation process and trading strategies have been structured as dynamic (rolling windows) market trading model through 2008. The results indicate that pairs produced average returns of % 3.36 daily comparing with the naïve buy and hold strategy. However ISE30 daily average return performance % 0.038 between 2002-2008 period. Our trading constraints and trading commissions take away the excess return on pairs mostly. Furthermore, the performance analysis reveals that the pairs trading strategy yields excess returns with less volatility than the market portfolio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19887.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
mean reversion; pairs trading; distance method; market neutral portfolio; Istanbul Stock Exchange; trading strategies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perlin, M., 2007. "M of a kind: A Multivariate Approach at Pairs Trading," MPRA Paper 8309, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998.
"Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm26, Yale School of Management.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2006. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative-Value Arbitrage Rule," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 797-827.
- William Goetzmann & Evan g. Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm3, Yale School of Management.
- William N. Goetzmann & Evan Geov Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm109, Yale School of Management.
- Evan G. Galev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1999. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," NBER Working Papers 7032, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K. Triantafyllopoulos & G. Montana, 2011.
"Dynamic modeling of mean-reverting spreads for statistical arbitrage,"
Computational Management Science,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 23-49, April.
- Kostas Triantafyllopoulos & Giovanni Montana, 2008. "Dynamic modeling of mean-reverting spreads for statistical arbitrage," Papers 0808.1710, arXiv.org, revised May 2009.
- Perlin, M., 2007. "Evaluation of pairs trading strategy at the Brazilian financial market," MPRA Paper 8308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.