The Decomposition of Inter-Group Differences in a Logit Model: Extending the Oaxaca-Blinder Approach with an Application to School Enrolment in India
AbstractThis paper suggests a method of decomposing differences in inter-group probabilities from a logit model and shows how it can be related to similar decompositions derived from a Oaxaca-Blinder framework. In so doing, it offers a solution to a problem, embedded within the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition, relating to the appropriate choice of common coefficient vectors with which to evaluate the different attribute vectors. The decomposition method also shows how pair-wise comparisons of groups might be conducted in the presence of more than two groups, without discarding the information on groups excluded from the comparison. The proposed method is applied to inter-group differences in schooling participation in India and the results are compared with the Oaxaca-Blinder method. The decomposition is applied specifically to inter-group differences in the enrolment of boys at school in India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19418.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Logit regression; school enrolment; India; decomposition methods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Nielsen, Helena Skyt, 1998. "Discrimination and detailed decomposition in a logit model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 115-120, October.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Blackaby, David H, et al, 1997. "A Picture of Male and Female Unemployment among Britain's Ethnic Minorities," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(2), pages 182-97, May.
- Blackaby, David, et al, 1999. "Unemployment among Britain's Ethnic Minorities," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(1), pages 1-20, January.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4355 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vani Borooah & Anastasios Katos & Eleni Katsouli, 2013. "Inter-country differences in voter satisfaction with the democratic process: a study of world elections," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 157(3), pages 569-584, December.
- Martin Wittenberg, 2007. "Dissecting post-apartheid labour market developments: Decomposing a discrete choice model while dealing with unobservables," Working Papers 46, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Carlos Gradín, 2012.
"Poverty among minorities in the United States: explaining the racial poverty gap for Blacks and Latinos,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(29), pages 3793-3804, October.
- Carlos Gradin, 2008. "Poverty among minorities in the United States: Explaining the racial poverty gap for Blacks and Latinos," Working Papers 96, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- A Aggarwal & R Freguglia & G Johnes & G Spricigo, 2011. "Education and labour market outcomes : evidence from India," Working Papers 615663, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4484 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ham, Roger & Junankar, Pramod N. (Raja) & Wells, Robert, 2009. "Occupational Choice: Personality Matters," IZA Discussion Papers 4105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vani Borooah, 2010. "Gender Differences in the Incidence of Depression and Anxiety: Econometric Evidence from the USA," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 11(6), pages 663-682, December.
- Carlos Gradin, 2009.
"Why is Poverty So High Among Afro-Brazilians? A Decomposition Analysis of the Racial Poverty Gap,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1426-1452.
- Gradín, Carlos, 2007. "Why Is Poverty So High Among Afro-Brazilians? A Decomposition Analysis of the Racial Poverty Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 2809, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Gianna Claudia Giannelli & Francesco Pastore, 2010. "Vulnerability and discrimination among women, children and ethnic minorities," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 101-108, May.
- Vani K. Borooah & John Mangan, 2009. "Multiculturalism versus Assimilation: Attitudes towards Immigrants in Western Countries," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 2(2), pages 33-50, December.
- Borooah, Vani K. & Dineen, Donal A. & Lynch, Nicola, 2009. "Language and Occupational Status: Linguistic Elitism in the Irish Labour Market," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(4), pages 435-460.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4789 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maurer-Fazio, Margaret & Hughes, James W. & Zhang, Dandan, 2009.
"A Comparison and Decomposition of Reform-Era Labor Force Participation Rates of China's Ethnic Minorities and Han Majority,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4148, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & James W. Hughes & Dandan Zhang, 2010. "A comparison and decomposition of reform-era labor force participation rates of China's ethnic minorities and Han majority," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 138-162, May.
- Connelly, Rachel & Maurer-Fazio, Margaret & Zhang, Dandan, 2014. "The Role of Coresidency with Adult Children in the Labor Force Participation Decisions of Older Men and Women in China," IZA Discussion Papers 8068, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:lan:wpaper:4356 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.