On the Probability Distribution of Economic Growth
AbstractNormality is often mechanically and without sufficient reason assumed in econometric models. In this paper three important and significantly heteroscedastic GDP series are studied. Heteroscedasticity is removed and the distributions of the filtered series are then compared to a Normal, a Normal-Mixture and Normal-Asymmetric Laplace (NAL) distributions. NAL represents a reduced and empirical form of the Aghion and Howitt (1992) model for economic growth, based on Schumpeter's idea of creative destruction. Statistical properties of the NAL distributions are provided and it is shown that NAL competes well with the alternatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18581.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
The Aghion-Howitt model; asymmetric innovations; mixed normal- asymmetric Laplace distribution; Kernel density estimation; Method of Moments estimation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Segerstrom, Paul S & Anant, T C A & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1990. "A Schumpeterian Model of the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1077-91, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth,"
148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 2003.
"Endogenous Growth And Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2003-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B., 2006.
"Another look at measures of forecast accuracy,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 679-688.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Anne B. Koehler, 2005. "Another Look at Measures of Forecast Accuracy," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 13/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- William McGill, 1962. "Random fluctuations of response rate," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 3-17, March.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Makridakis, Spyros, 1993. "Accuracy measures: theoretical and practical concerns," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 527-529, December.
- Elhanan Helpman & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1994.
"A Time to Sow and a Time to Reap: Growth Based on General Purpose Technologies,"
NBER Working Papers
4854, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 1994. "A Time to Sow and a Time to Reap: Growth Based on General Purpose Technologies," CEPR Discussion Papers 1080, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linden, Mikael, 2001. "A Model for Stock Return Distribution," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 159-69, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.