Das Problem der Spezifikation einer Konsumfunktion im Rahmen der VGR 2005
[The specification problem of the consumption function in the framework of the NIA-system 2005]
AbstractIn 2005, Germany’s national income accounting system was altered from fixed prices to previous year’s prices as basis for macroeconomic time series measured in real terms. Among other consequences, the new system offers a wider range of possibilities to interpret theoretically relevant variables empirically. Some of these different interpretations and specifications of both, the habit persistence hypothesis and an corresponding error correction model, are applied to the relationship between private consumption and income and estimated empirically. Compared to the estimators yielded in the framework of the former national account system with constant prices, the values of the marginal propensity to consume differ, but fall in the theoretically expected and by now empirically observed boundaries. Applying the theory of co-integration and a non-reduced error correction model lead to a slightly better explanation of the private consumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18497.
Date of creation: 08 Jul 2008
Date of revision: 09 Nov 2009
Econometric modelling; consumption function; habit persistence approach; error correction model; national income accounting system; additivity and non-additivity of volumes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2004. "Wirtschaftswachstum in den VGR: Zur Einführung der Vorjahrespreisbasis in der deutschen Statistik," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 57(05), pages 28-34, 03.
- Quaas, Georg, 2009.
"Realgrößen und Preisindizes im alten und im neuen VGR-System
[Macro-economic aggregates in real terms and price indices in the old and the new system of national accounts]," MPRA Paper 22316, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Apr 2010.
- Muzafar Shah Habibullah & Peter Smith & W. N. W. Azman-Saini, 2006. "Testing liquidity constraints in 10 Asian developing countries: an error-correction model approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2535-2543.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.