On the Computation of the Hausdorff Dimension of the Walrasian Economy: Addendum
AbstractIn a recent paper, Dominique (2009) argues that for a Walrasian economy with m consumers and n goods, the equilibrium set of prices becomes a fractal attractor due to continuous destructions and creations of excess demands. The paper also posits that the Hausdorff dimension of the attractor is d = ln (n) / ln (n-1) if there are n copies of sizes (1/ (n-1)), but that assumption does not hold. A subsequent paper (no 16723) modified that assumption, dealt with the self-similarity of the Walrasian economy, and computed the Hausdorff dimensions of the attractor as if it were a space-filling curve. This paper is an extension of the first two. It shows that the path of the equilibrium price vector within the attractor is rather as close as one can get to a Brownian motion that tends to fill up the whole hyperspace available to it. The end analysis is that the economy obeys a homogeneous power law in the form of f-. Power Spectra and Hausdorff dimensions are then computed for both the attractor and economic time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18292.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Fractal Attractor; Contractive Mappings; Self-similarity; Hausdorff Dimensions of the Walrasian Economy and time series; Brownian Motion; Power Spectra; Hausdorff Dimensions in Higher Dimensions.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C-René Dominique, 2008.
"Walrasian Solutions Without Utility Functions,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2008_10, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1959. "Some Examples of Global Instability of the Competitive Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 79, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dominique, C-Rene, 2009. "Could Markets' Equilibrium Sets Be Fractal Attractors?," MPRA Paper 13624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.