Turkish economic policy under AKP government: an assessment for 2002-2007
AbstractThis article agrees with the received wisdom that the rule of AKP government has been associated with better macroeconomic outcomes in Turkey from 2002-2007. However, it argues that it is necessary to question the received wisdom for several reasons. First, AKP government’s contribution to Turkey’s economic performance from 2002-2007 was largely due to its consent to ‘tie its hands’ under the pre-existing International Monetary Fund (IMF) and European Union (EU) accession conditionality rather than because of AKP-specific policy innovation. Secondly, AKP’s attempt at policy innovation after 2004 have been associated with less impressive economic outcomes. Finally, the AKP has been unsuccessful in addressing the structural constraints and vulnerabilities that threaten the long-run sustainability of Turkey’s economic growth and its macroeconomic stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18235.
Date of creation: 24 Apr 2008
Date of revision: 29 Oct 2009
Economic policy analysis; economic governance; inflation targeting; structural reforms; Turkish economy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burcu Gurcihan & Erdal Yilmaz, 2007.
"Turkiye’de Kamu Borc Stokunun Yapisi : Orijinal Gunah Gostergeleri ve Risk-Dahil Kamu Borc Yuku,"
0702, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Burcu GÜRCİHAN & Erdal YILMAZ, 2007. "Türkiye’de Kamu Borç Stokunun Yapısı: Orijinal Günah Göstergeleri ve Risk-Dahil Kamu Borç Yükü," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 22(251), pages 5-20.
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria & Loayza, Norman, 2004. "Volatility and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3184, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.