Central and eastern european social model
AbstractThe 10 former communist countries from Central and Eastern Europe have inherited similar social protection systems, specific to an ethatist economy, and faced similar issues along the transition to market economy. Distinct in Europe through common traits, the new-comers in the European Union, especially the 10 from Central and Eastern Europe, encompass the fifth submodel of the European social model. Ageing of the population, conservatory management of the pensions fund (aversion for risk, regarding the public funds transfer into private pensions fund), migration of qualified work force, increasing unemployment rate represent a wide variety of threats which brought to the public attention the need to reform the social model of the post-communist countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17930.
Date of creation: 30 May 2009
Date of revision:
European Social Model; European Social Policy; comparative social policy; welfare state; Central and Eastern Europe;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André Sapir, 2006.
"Globalization and the Reform of European Social Models,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 369-390, 06.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalisation and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8112, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167139, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- AndrÃ© Sapir, 2005. "Globalisation and the reform of European social models," Policy Contributions 31, Bruegel.
- Maria Jepsen & Amparo A. Serrano Pascual, 2005. "The European social model: An exercise in deconstruction," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/166129, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.