Equity Price Bubbles in the Middle Eastern and North African Financial Markets
AbstractWe empirically investigate the existence of periodically collapsing bubbles in seven Middle East and North African (MENA) financial markets for the period ending in May 2009. We use the Taylor and Peel (1998) residual augmented least square Dickey and Fuller test (RALS DF) to detect the bubbles. We find that the hypothesis of a bubble formation cannot be rejected for all seven markets investigated in our study, leading us to believe that in fact there has been a break down in the cointegration relationship between real equity prices and real dividends and also between real market capitalizations and real dividends.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17859.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Cointegration; Equity prices; Explosive unit root processes; MENA; Periodically collapsing bubbles.;
Other versions of this item:
- Jahan-Parvar, Mohammad R. & Waters, George A., 2010. "Equity price bubbles in the Middle Eastern and North African Financial markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-48, March.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2009-10-24 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CWA-2009-10-24 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Billmeier, Andreas & Massa, Isabella, 2008.
"Go long or short in pyramids? News from the Egyptian stock market,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 949-970, December.
- Isabella Massa & Andreas Billmeier, 2007. "Go Long or Short in Pyramids? News from the Egyptian Stock Market," IMF Working Papers 07/179, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Bohl, Martin T., 2003. "Periodically collapsing bubbles in the US stock market?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 385-397.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
4843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Evans, George W, 1991. "Pitfalls in Testing for Explosive Bubbles in Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 922-30, September.
- Parke, William R. & Waters, George A., 2007. "An evolutionary game theory explanation of ARCH effects," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2234-2262, July.
- Errunza, Vihang, 2001. "Foreign Portfolio Equity Investments, Financial Liberalization, and Economic Development," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 703-26, November.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Ghysels, Eric & Cherkaoui, Mouna, 2003. "Emerging markets and trading costs: lessons from Casablanca," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 169-198, February.
- Waters, George A., 2008. "Unit root testing for bubbles: A resurrection?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 279-281, December.
- Charemza, Wojciech W. & Deadman, Derek F., 1995. "Speculative bubbles with stochastic explosive roots: The failure of unit root testing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 153-163, June.
- James E. Rauch & Scott Kostyshak, 2009. "The Three Arab Worlds," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 165-88, Summer.
- Cheng, Ai-Ru & Jahan-Parvar, Mohammad R. & Rothman, Philip, 2010.
"An empirical investigation of stock market behavior in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 413-427, June.
- Cheng, Ai-ru & Jahan-Parvar, Mohammad R. & Rothman, Philip, 2009. "An Empirical Investigation of Stock Market Behavior in the Middle East and North Africa," MPRA Paper 13437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chan, Hing Lin & Lee, Shu Kam & Woo, Kai-Yin, 2003. "An empirical investigation of price and exchange rate bubbles during the interwar European hyperinflations," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 327-344.
- Alsubaie, Abdullah & Najand, Mohammad, 2009. "Abnormal trading volume and autoregressive behavior in weekly stock returns in the Saudi stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 207-225, September.
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas & Lucey, Brian M., 2008. "Efficiency in emerging markets--Evidence from the MENA region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 94-105, February.
- Diba, Behzad T & Grossman, Herschel I, 1988. "Explosive Rational Bubbles in Stock Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 520-30, June.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 1998. "Periodically collapsing stock price bubbles: a robust test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 221-228, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.