The Failure of Price Competition In The Turkish Credit Card Market
AbstractThe failure of competition and the consequent high and sticky interest rates in credit card markets have been the subject of a considerable amount of debate and research lately. This paper presents the first regression testing for the existence of price competition in a credit card market to be estimated free of dynamic panel bias using recent quarterly data from Turkey. The estimation reveals that even though the effect of the cost of funds on credit card rates is statistically significant, it is very weak. The paper thus provides empirical evidence for the failure of price competition in the Turkish credit card market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17770.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Credit Cards; Price Competition; System GMM; Banking;
Other versions of this item:
- G. Gulsun Akin & Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Gazi Ishak Kara & Levent Yildiran, 2010. "The Failure of Price Competition in the Turkish Credit Card Market," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(0), pages 23-35, May.
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Personal Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Müslim, Nusret Ahmet, 2006.
"The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence,"
5483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Nusret Ahmet Muslim, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2006/10, Turkish Economic Association.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & A. Muslim, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2006/09, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- G. Gulsun Akin & Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Gazi Ishak Kara & Levent Yildiran, 2010.
"Non-Price Competition in Credit Card Markets Through Bundling and Bank Level Benefits,"
562, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2010.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Kara, Gazi Ishak & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Non-price competition in credit card markets through bundling and bank level benefits," MPRA Paper 17768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Sherrill Shaffer & Lorein Thomas, 2007. "A reassessment of market power among credit card banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 755-767.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.