Bayesian Estimation of the GARCH(1,1) Model with Student-t Innovations in R
AbstractThis paper presents the R package bayesGARCH which provides functions for the Bayesian estimation of the parsimonious but effective GARCH(1,1) model with Student-t innovations. The estimation procedure is fully automatic and thus avoids the time-consuming and difficult task of tuning a sampling algorithm. The usage of the package is shown in an empirical application to exchange rate log-returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17414.
Date of creation: 20 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
GARCH; Bayesian; MCMC; Student-t; R software;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2004.
"A flexible prior distribution for Markov switching autoregressions with Student-t errors,"
DQE Working Papers
2, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland, revised 12 Nov 2011.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2006. "A flexible prior distribution for Markov switching autoregressions with Student-t errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 153-190, July.
- David Ardia & Lennart F. Hoogerheide, 2010. "Bayesian Estimation of the GARCH(1,1) Model with Student-t Innovations," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-045/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Ardia, David & Hoogerheide, Lennart F., 2010.
"Efficient Bayesian estimation and combination of GARCH-type models,"
22919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Ardia & Lennart F. Hoogerheide, 2010. "Efficient Bayesian Estimation and Combination of GARCH-Type Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-046/4, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.