Capital social y eficiencia técnica de los pequeños agricultores de trigo de la Región del Bío Bío
[Social Capital and technical efficiency of wheat small farmers in the Bío Bío Region (Chile)]
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to evaluate the determinants of technical efficiency of wheat small farmers in Bío Bío Region, especially to investigate the relation between social capital, measured through participation in organizations, and technical efficiency. Using information of the VII Agricultural and Forestry Survey, a stochastic frontier production function was estimated. The results show that age, level of education, size of the farmer activity, degree of specialization, technology and agro-climatic zones are able to explain individual technical efficiency levels. Special importance receives participation in organizations in the achievement of higher technical efficiency levels, principally in low productivities zones. Specifically, participation in cooperatives deeply explains the improvements in efficiency in most of the cases. Characteristics related to the business model and productive aims that they exhibit, could help to explain these results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17220.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Technical efficiency; Stochastic frontier production function; Participation in organizations; Social capital.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1996.
"Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(02), August.
- Tim J. Coelli & George E. Battese, 1996. "Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(2), pages 103-128, 08.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1994. "Identification of Factors which Influence the Technical Inefficiency of Indian Farmers," 1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand 148110, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986.
"Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Kodde, David A. & Palm, Franz C., 1986. "Wald criteria for jointly testing equality and inequality restrictions," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750, Maastricht University.
- Renato Villano & Euan Fleming, 2006. "Technical Inefficiency and Production Risk in Rice Farming: Evidence from Central Luzon Philippines ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 29-46, 03.
- Santos, Jozimo & Foster, William E. & Ortega, Jorge & Ramirez, E., 2006. "Estudio de la Eficiencia TÃ©cnica de Productores de Papas en Chile: El Rol del Programa de Transferencia TecnolÃ³gica de INDAP," Economia Agraria, Agrarian Economist Association (AEA), Chile, vol. 10.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Salazar, César A. & Jaime, Mónica M., 2009.
"¿Qué influye en la decisión individual de participar? Un enfoque microeconómico del capital social para el caso de las organizaciones de la Sociedad Civil en Chile
[What influence the individua," MPRA Paper 12795, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-23, August.
- César A. Salazar & Mónica M. Jaime, 2009. "Participación en Organizaciones Sociales en Chile. ¿Una Alternativa para Mejorar el Bienestar Económico de los Hogares?," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 36(2 Year 20), pages 191-215, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.