Volatility Spillover Between the Stock Market and the Foreign Exchange Market in Pakistan
AbstractOur paper examines the volatility spillover between the stock market and the foreign exchange market in Pakistan. For long run relationship we use Engle Granger two step procedure and the volatility spillover is modelled through bivariate EGARCH method. The estimated results from cointegration analysis show that there is no long run relationship between the two markets. The results from the volatility modelling show that the behaviour of both the stock exchange and the foreign exchange markets are interlinked. The returns of one market are affected by the volatility of other market. Particularly the returns of the stock market are sensitive to the returns as well as the volatility of foreign exchange market. On the other hand returns in the foreign exchange market are mean reverting and they are affected by the volatility of stock market returns. There is strong relationship between the volatility of foreign exchange market and the volatility of returns in stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1715.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Stock Market; Forex Market; EGARCH; Volatility Spillover; Stock market return; Foreign Exchange return; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-02-10 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FMK-2007-02-10 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2007-02-10 (International Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2007-02-10 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Abdul Qayyum & Idrees Khawaja & Asma Hyder, 2008.
"Growth Diagnostics in Pakistan,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22218, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lucía de las Nieves Morales, 2008. "Volatility Spillovers between Equity and Currency Markets: Evidence from Major Latin American Countries," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(132), pages 185-215.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.