The day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock market
AbstractEfficient market stated that stock’s return is indifferent in each trading day. But, the day of the week effects phenomenon made a different return in each single day in a week. This is an abnormal return which can affect investor in deciding investment strategy, portfolio selection, and profit management. We are researching the day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock markets in order to get the information whether this anomaly is exist or not at the three countries. We use AR-EGARCH econometric models to answer our objective. The result shows that there is positive abnormal return on Friday in Indonesia and Malaysia. However, there is no Friday positive abnormal return in Singapore. Besides, our study also concludes that there is no Monday negative abnormal return in all of three countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16873.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
The day of the week effects; anomaly; abnormal return; AR-EGARCH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Brooks & Gita Persand, 2001. "Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 155-158.
- Zainudin Arsad & J. Andrew Coutts, 1997. "Security price anomalies in the London International Stock Exchange: a 60 year perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 455-464.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Syed A. Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2004.
"Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets,"
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia & Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa, 2008.
"Day-of-the-week effects in Selected East Asian stock markets,"
AccessEcon, vol. 7(5), pages 1-8.
- Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2007. "Day-of-the-week effects in selected East Asian stock markets," MPRA Paper 7299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. " The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 433-54, June.
- Ariel, Robert A., 1987. "A monthly effect in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 161-174, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Kato, Kiyoshi & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Seasonal and Size Anomalies in the Japanese Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 243-260, June.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.