The Italian Stabilization of 1947: Domestic and International Factors
AbstractThe paper examines the 1947 monetary stabilization in Italy, tracing the domestic and international political dynamics that allowed ideas and theoretical concepts developed within the Bank of Italy to be applied in a successful action to subdue spiraling inflation. The combination of events and circumstances necessary for the good outcome in a critical juncture of Italian economic history was the fruit of the efforts made by Prime Minister Alcide De Gasperi in both the domestic and international political arenas and of the collaboration he received from Luigi Einaudi and Donato Menichella. The Government’s economic action in this crucial episode constitutes perhaps the first outstanding example of cooperation between politicians and experts in the annals of the Italian Republic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16396.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision: 2007
Economic history; Stabilization; Italy; United States; De Gasperi; Menichella; 1947;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- N34 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Europe: 1913-
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Casella, Alessandra & Eichengreen, Barry, 1991.
"Halting Inflation in Italy and France After World War II,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandra Casella & Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Halting Inflation in Italy and France After World War II," NBER Working Papers 3852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.