Interregional Trade, Industrial Location and Import Infrastructure
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to illustrate, with a simple two-region, two-good, two-factor model, how an improvement in one region’s import infrastructure can affect firms’ location decisions and the nature of the trading equilibrium. It is shown that, through improvements in import infrastructure, one region might divert high-tech industries to another region. This effect reduces the incentive to improve import infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16016.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Interregional Trade; Import Infrastructure;
Other versions of this item:
- Toru Kikuchi & Kazumichi Iwasa, 2009. "Interregional trade, industrial location and import infrastructure," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 361-365, December.
- Toru Kikuchi & Kazumichi Iwasa, 2009. "Interregional Trade, Industrial Location and Import Infrastructure," Discussion Papers 0908, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2004.
"Agglomeration and economic geography,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 58, pages 2563-2608
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2003. "Agglomeration and Economic Geography," CEPR Discussion Papers 3838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2003. "Agglomeration and economic geography," CORE Discussion Papers 2003016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Toru Kikuchi, 2005. "Interconnected communications networks and home market effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 870-882, August.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, June.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1994.
"Industrial Location and Public Infrastructure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo, 1996.
"Growing Locations: Industry Location in a Model of Endogenous Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & I.P. Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1999. "Growing locations: Industry location in a model of endogenous growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 281-302, February.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Countries, regions and trade: on the welfare impacts of economic integration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1936, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigne, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2007. "Countries, regions and trade: On the welfare impacts of economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1277-1301, July.
- Mori, Tomoya & Nishikimi, Koji, 2002. "Economies of transport density and industrial agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 167-200, March.
- Joan Costa-Font & Eduardo Rodriguez-Oreggia, 2005. "Trade and the Effect of Public Investment on Regional Inequalities in Heterogeneously Integrated Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 873-891, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.