A local dynamic conditional correlation model
AbstractThis paper introduces the idea that the variances or correlations in financial returns may all change conditionally and slowly over time. A multi-step local dynamic conditional correlation model is proposed for simultaneously modelling these components. In particular, the local and conditional correlations are jointly estimated by multivariate kernel regression. A multivariate k-NN method with variable bandwidths is developed to solve the curse of dimension problem. Asymptotic properties of the estimators are discussed in detail. Practical performance of the model is illustrated by applications to foreign exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1592.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Local and conditional correlations; multivariate nonparametric ARCH; multivariate kernel regression; multivariate k-NN method;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-02-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-02-10 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert, 2001. "Financial econometrics - A new discipline with new methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 53-56, January.
- Hafner, C.M. & van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2005. "Semi-Parametric Modelling of Correlation Dynamics," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2005-26, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Y. K. Tse & Albert K. C. Tsui, 2000.
"A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying correlations,"
- Y.K. Tse & Albert K.C. Tsui, 2000. "A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Econometrics 0004007, EconWPA.
- Yiu Kuen Tse & Albert K. C. Tsui, 2000. "A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0250, Econometric Society.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005.
"Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
577, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2005.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005. "Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations," Research Paper Series 168, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Beran, Jan & Feng, Yuanhua, 2002. "SEMIFAR models--a semiparametric approach to modelling trends, long-range dependence and nonstationarity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 393-419, August.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pelletier, Denis, 2006.
"Regime switching for dynamic correlations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 445-473.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004. "Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 230, Econometric Society.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002.
"NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT MOMENT CONDITIONS FOR THE GARCH(r,s) AND ASYMMETRIC POWER GARCH(r,s) MODELS,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 722-729, June.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Necessary and Sufficient Moment Conditions for the GARCH(r,s) and Asymmetric Power GARCH(r,s) Models," ISER Discussion Paper 0534, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Brooks, Chris & Henry, Olan T, 2002.
" The Impact of News on Measures of Undiversifiable Risk: Evidence from the UK Stock Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(5), pages 487-507, December.
- Brooks, C. & Henry, O.T., 2000. "The Impact of News on Measures of Undiversifiable Risk: Evidence from the UK Stock Market," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 733, The University of Melbourne.
- Yuanhua Feng, 2002.
"Simultaneously Modelling Conditional Heteroskedasticity and Scale Change,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
02-12, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Feng, Yuanhua, 2004. "Simultaneously Modeling Conditional Heteroskedasticity And Scale Change," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 563-596, June.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV & L. YANG, 1996. "Nonparametric Vector Autoregression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,61, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hafner, C.M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2003. "A generalized dynamic conditional correlation model for many asset returns," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-18, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 1998. "Efficient estimation of conditional variance functions in stochastic regression," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero M. Gallo & David Veredas, 2014. "Disentangling Systematic and Idiosyncratic Dynamics in Panels of Volatility Measures," Econometrics Working Papers Archive 2014_02, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti", revised Feb 2014.
- Vargas, Gregorio A., 2008. "What Drives the Dynamic Conditional Correlation of Foreign Exchange and Equity Returns?," MPRA Paper 7174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Colacito, Riccardo & Engle, Robert F. & Ghysels, Eric, 2011. "A component model for dynamic correlations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 45-59, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.