An overview of decentralization and local governance in Eastern and Southern Africa
AbstractThis paper reviews the decentralization process in Eastern and Southern Africa. It begins with an analysis of the socio-economic as well as the political challenges confronting most countries in the region. This analysis places the decentralization debate into context as these challenges have a bearing on the outcome of any reforms undertaken. The paper goes on to define decentralization and local democracy in order to come up with a clear understanding of the different forms of decentralization as well as the tenets of local democracy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15701.
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
decentralization; local governance; democracy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-06-17 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-06-17 (Development)
- NEP-PBE-2009-06-17 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151, August.
- Sharma, Chanchal Kumar, 2004. "Decentralization Dilemma: Measuring the Degree and Evaluating the Outcomes," MPRA Paper 204, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2005.
- Silverman, J.M., 1992. "Public Sector Decentralization; Economic Policy and Sector Investment Programs," Papers, World Bank - Technical Papers 188, World Bank - Technical Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.