Unemployment Convergence in Transition
AbstractIn this paper an attempt is made to inquire the dynamics of regional unemployment rates in transition economies. We use policy relevant NUTS4 unemployment rates for transition economies characterised by both relatively intense (Poland, Slovaka) and relatively mild labour market hardships (namely Czech Republic). We apply diverse analytical techniques to seek traces of convergence, including beta - and sigma-convergence as well as time-series approach. Results in each of the countries suggest no support in favour of beta-type convergence, i.e. convergence of levels. Even controlling for nation-wide labour market outlooks (conditional convergence) does not provide any support to this hypothesis. Further, regions with both very high and very low unemployment show signs of high persistence and low mobility in the national distribution, while the middle ones tend to demonstrate higher mobility and essentially no regional unemployment differentials persistence. This diagnosis is confirmed by sigma-convergence analysis which indicates no general divergence or convergence patterns. Transitions seem to be more frequent, but at the same time less sustainable for middle range districts, while movements up and down the ladder occur frequently for the same districts. Findings allow to define the patterns of local labour market dynamics, pointing to differentiated divergence paths. Importantly, these tendencies persists despite cohesion policies financing schemes, which allocate relatively more resources to deprived regions in all these countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15386.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
unemployment; beta-type convergence; sigma-type convergence; stochastic convergence; social cohesion;
Other versions of this item:
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayer, Christian & Juessen, Falko, 2006.
"Convergence in West German Regional Unemployment Rates,"
2006,39, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Christian Bayer & Falko Jü�en, 2007. "Convergence in West German Regional Unemployment Rates," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 510-535, November.
- Christian Bayer & Falko Juessen, 2004. "Convergence in West German Regional Unemployment Rates," Urban/Regional 0411007, EconWPA.
- Falko Juessen & Christian Bayer, 2005. "Convergence in West German Regional Unemployment Rates," ERSA conference papers ersa05p410, European Regional Science Association.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2004.
"Testing for hysteresis in unemployment in OECD countries. New evidence using stationarity panel tests with breaks,"
Working Papers in Economics
119, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2006. "Testing for Hysteresis in Unemployment in OECD Countries: New Evidence using Stationarity Panel Tests with Breaks," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(2), pages 167-182, 04.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Francesco Pastore, 2008.
"Mind The Gap: Unemployment In The New Eu Regions,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 73-113, 02.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1999. "Gradual restructuring and Structural Unemployment in Poland. A Legacy of Central Planning," LICOS Discussion Papers 7899, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Peter Huber, 2007. "Regional Labour Market Developments in Transition: A Survey of the Empirical Literature," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 263-298, September.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Thiess Buettner, 2007. "Unemployment disparities and regional wage flexibility: comparing EU members and EU-accession countries," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 287-297, September.
- Fábio Augusto Reis Gomes & Cleomar Gomes da Silva, 2006. "Hysteresis Vs. Nairu And Convergence Vs. Divergence: The Behavior Of Regional Unemployment Rates In Brazil," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 161, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Gray, 2004. "Persistent Regional Unemployment Differentials Revisited," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 167-176.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2009.
"Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany,"
Working Paper Series
49_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Nov 2011.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2012. "Persistence Of Regional Unemployment: Application Of A Spatial Filtering Approach To Local Labor Markets In Germany," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 300-323, 05.
- Patuelli, Roberto & Schanne, Norbert & Griffith, Daniel A. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2011. "Persistence of regional unemployment : Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 201103, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- R. Patuelli & N. Schanne & D. A. Griffith & P. Nijkamp, 2011. "Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Working Papers wp743, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Patuelli, R. & Schanne, N. & Griffith, D.A., 2010. "Persistent disparities in regional unemployment: Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," Serie Research Memoranda 0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2010. "Persistent Disparities in Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1001, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna & Wójcik, Piotr, 2009.
"Active Labour Market Policies and Unemployment Convergence in Transition,"
15201, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wojcik, 2010. "Active Labour Market Policies and Unemployment Convergence in Transition," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(1), pages 46-72, January.
- Joanna TYROWICZ & Piotr Wï¿½JCIK, 2009. "Some Remarks On The Effects Of Active Labour Market Policies In Post-Transition," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(2(8)_ Sum).
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Tomasz Jeruzalski, 2013.
"(In)Efficiency of matching: the case of a post-transition economy,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 255-275, May.
- Jeruzalski, Tomasz & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2009. "(In)Efficiency of Matching - The Case of A Post-transition Economy," MPRA Paper 16598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomasz Jeruzalski & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2009. "(In)Efficiency of Matching - the Case of a Post-transition Economy," Working Papers 2009-10, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wójcik, 2009.
"Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland,"
2009-04, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna & Wojcik, Piotr, 2009. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," MPRA Paper 15384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wojcik, 2011. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 3(1), pages 59-79, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.