Эконометрические Оценки Гедонических Индексов Цен На Персональные Компьютеры В России: Пример Рынка Г. Екатеринбурга
[Estimating Hedonic Price Indices for Personal Computers in Russia]
AbstractEconomist have noted for decades that Consumer Price Index (CPI) in the developed countries is overstating inflation by 0,5-2,0% per year. A significant part of such a bias is found to be caused by the presence of technology products and differentiated products in CPI. An increasing weight of these products in the Russian CPI may also lead to a substantial upward bias. Nowadays hedonic indices are believed to be the most efficient way to reduce the bias. Following Triplett we have developed the taxonomy of hedonic price indices within the “direct approach”. This first step is essential in constructing a detailed set of hedonic price indices. They can be used in two ways: to estimate the bias in CPI and to elaborate alternative official price indices for IT-products. We've estimated 11% fall of price for personal computers in 2005 with the usage of hedonic price indices, a 11-23% positive bias in price index for PC in Russia was also calculated. We also have found that Russian CPI could be upward biased by 0,12-0,23% per year due to new goods and quality change effects for PC.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1506.
Date of creation: 07 Jun 2006
Date of revision: 07 Nov 2006
Hedonic; Price index; bias; CPI; PC; inflation; new economy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2007-03-10 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-ICT-2007-03-10 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-MAC-2007-03-10 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-03-10 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan Crawford, 1998. "Measurement biases in the Canadian CPI: An update," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1998(Spring), pages 39-56.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.