Demand for meat quantitu and quality in Malaysia: Implications to Australia
AbstractAs per capita income increases, consumers do not only demand for a greater quantity but also higher quality of food. The objective of this study is to examine the demand for meat quantity and quality in Malaysia. By using the Household Expenditure Survey 2004/05 data, expenditure, quantity, and quality expenditures are obtained via Engel curves analyses. The empirical results show that Malaysians are increasingly demanding for quality meat products. To be more specific, urban consumers are more likely to spend on higher quality meat products than rural consumers. By understanding and reacting to the changes in demand for meat products in Malaysia, Australia can offer the right range of meat products earlier than other competitors while continue enjoying their market leadership in the niche of quality meat segments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15032.
Date of creation: 08 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Engel curves; Meat; Quantity; Quality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-09 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-SEA-2009-05-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr. & Huang, Kuo S., 2007. "Demand For Food Quantity And Quality In China," Economic Research Report 7252, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir & Mohamed, Zainalabidin & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Radam, Alias, 2008. "Demand for beef in Malaysia: Quality or Quantity?," MPRA Paper 15035, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir & Mohamed, Zainalabidin & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Radam, Alias, 2008. "Demand for meat products in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 15034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tey Yeong Sheng & Mad Nasir Shamsudin & Zainalabidin Mohamed & Amin Mahir Abdullah & Alias Radam, 2008. "A Complete Demand System of Food in Malaysia," The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 17-29, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.