Descomposición Estructural de las Series de Desempleo: Una Aplicación para las Ciudades de la Región del Bío Bío
[Structural decomposition for unemployment rate data: an application for the cities of Bío Bío Region, Chile]
AbstractIn this paper we characterize the unemployment rate for the main cities of the Bío Bío Region using the state-space multivariate approach, in order to isolate and evaluate their tendency and seasonal components. We present theoretical expressions for each structural model for monthly unemployment rate data which spans between I.1996 and XII.2005. We use an additive multivariate structural model for the cities of Chillán, Concepción, Gran Concepción and Talcahuano, an additive bivariant structural model for Coronel and Lota, and an additive univariate structural model for Arauco and Los Angeles. The main results show, firstly, that the estimated state-space approach models present a good explanation power (MAPE is less than 8 per cent for four cities); secondly, the hypothesis which states that seasonal peak levels for unemployment rate are related to cities strongly linked with the primary sector (raw materials) is verified, thirdly, quantifying the seasonal component for unemployment series in each city gives useful information to local policy-makers, because it can determine the optimal length for emergency employment plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14692.
Date of creation: Dec 2007
Date of revision:
unemployment; state-space; trend and seasonal components; multivariate structural model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1991.
"Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521405737, October.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1990. "Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521321969, October.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.