Export and Economic Growth in India: Causal Interpretation
AbstractThe present study focuses on the cointegration between Export and Gross Domestic Product and its components at current and constant prices. Time series data for Export and Gross Domestic Product and its components has been taken for the period 1950-51 to 2001-02. In the long run export and GDP reveal that export and GDP at constant prices are not cointegrable while export and GDP at current prices are cointegrable and also the direction of causality is positive. In the short run, through error correction mechanism it has been observed that GDP as dependent variable and export as an independent variable show that short run changes in export have affected positively to GDP and its components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14670.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision: Oct 2006
Publication status: Published in Journal of Global Economy 4.2(2006): pp. 245-277
Gross Domestic Product; Export; Unit root test; Cointegration; Error Correction Model; Time series;
Other versions of this item:
- Alok Kumar Pandey, 2006. "Export and Economic Growth in India: Causal Interpretation," Journal of Global Economy, Research Centre for Social Sciences,Mumbai, India, vol. 2(4), pages 245-277, December.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chow, Peter C. Y., 1987. "Causality between export growth and industrial development : Empirial evidence from the NICs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-63, June.
- Kavoussi, Rostam M., 1984. "Export expansion and economic growth : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 241-250.
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi, 1991. "Exports, imports, and economic growth in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 93-116, January.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Mohtadi, Hamid & Shabsigh, Ghiath, 1991. "Exports, growth and causality in LDCs : A re-examination," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 405-415, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.