Ordered Search in Differentiated Markets
AbstractThis paper presents an ordered search model in which consumers search both for price and product fitness. We show that there is price dispersion in equilibrium and prices rise in the order of search. The top firms in consumer search order, though charge lower prices, earn higher profits due to their larger market shares.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 13397.
Date of creation: 13 Feb 2009
Date of revision:
non-random search; price dispersion; product differentiation;
Other versions of this item:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-02-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2009-02-22 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2007.
"Position Auctions with Consumer Search,"
122247000000001633, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marco A. Haan & Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2009.
"Advertising for Attention in a Consumer Search Model,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-031/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Marco A. Haan & José L. Moraga‐González, 2011. "Advertising for Attention in a Consumer Search Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 552-579, 05.
- Haan, Marco A. & Moraga-Gonzalez, Jose L., 2009. "Advertising for attention in a consumer search model," IESE Research Papers D/794, IESE Business School.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1978.
"Optimal Search for the Best Alternative,"
214, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Zhou, Jidong, 2009. "Prominence and Consumer Search: The Case With Multiple Prominent Firms," MPRA Paper 12554, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yongmin Chen & Chuan He, 2011.
"Paid Placement: Advertising and Search on the Internet,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(556), pages F309-F328, November.
- Yongmin Chen & Chuan He, 2006. "Paid Placement: Advertising and Search on the Internet," Working Papers 06-02, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Mark Armstrong & John Vickers & Jidong Zhou, 2008.
"Prominence and Consumer Search,"
Economics Series Working Papers
379, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Perry, Motty & Wigderson, Avi, 1986. "Search in a Known Pattern," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(1), pages 225-30, February.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999.
"Pricing, Product Diversity, and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 719-735, Winter.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999. "Pricing, product diversity, and search costs: a Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond model," Virginia Economics Online Papers 335, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, S.P. & Renault, R., 1997. "Pricing, Product Diversity and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model," Papers 97.481, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Kohn, Meir G. & Shavell, Steven, 1974. "The theory of search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 93-123, October.
- Wolinsky, Asher, 1986. "True Monopolistic Competition as a Result of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 493-511, August.
- Moraga-González, José-Luis & Petrikaite, Vaiva, 2013.
"Search Costs, Demand-Side Economies and the Incentives to Merge under Bertrand Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9374, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jose L. Moraga-Gonzalez & Vaiva Petrikaite, 2012. "Search Costs, Demand-Side Economies and the Incentives to merge under Bertrand Competition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-017/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Moraga-Gonzalez, Jose L. & Petrikaite, Vaiva, 2011.
"Consumer search costs and the incentives to merge under Bertrand Competition,"
IESE Research Papers
D/934, IESE Business School.
- Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez & Vaiva Petrikaite, 2011. "Consumer Search Costs and the Incentives to merge under Bertrand Competition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-099/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Armstrong, Mark & Zhou, Jidong, 2011.
"Paying for prominence,"
30529, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.