The skill biased technological change in Turkish manufacturing industries
AbstractThe skill biased technological change (SBTC) hypothesis relates earnings inequality to the change in technology with the hypothesis that technology increases the relative demand for skilled labor. In this paper we will investigate the evidence of SBTC hypothesis for two digit level 9 sectors in Turkey between 1982-1998. This paper is, in fact, a replication of Betts (1997) with Turkish data. The main finding of our study is the fact that there is no statistically significant support for skill biased technological change hypothesis for Turkish manufacturing sector between 1982 and 1998.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12460.
Date of creation: 22 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Skill; Technological change; Wages; Skill-Biased Technological Change (SBTC); SUR estimation; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale Jorgenson, 1967. "The Theory of Investment Behavior," NBER Chapters, in: Determinants of Investment Behavior, pages 129-188 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julian R. Betts, 1997. "The Skill Bias Of Technological Change In Canadian Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 146-150, February.
- Karanfil, Fatih & Yeddir-Tamsamani, Yasser, 2010.
"Is technological change biased toward energy? A multi-sectoral analysis for the French economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1842-1850, April.
- Fatih Karanfil & Yasser Yeddir-Tamsamani, 2009. "Is technological change biased toward energy? -A multi-sectoral analysis for the French economy," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2009-12, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.