Trends and Patterns of Overseas Acquisitions by Indian Multinationals
AbstractThis study deals with the recent phenomena of rising overseas acquisitions undertaken by Indian multinationals. It studies the trends, patterns and locational determinants of Indian overseas acquisitions. Hitherto largely preoccupied with greenfield OFDI since the early 1960s, this study shows that Indian multinationals have increasingly started adopting acquisition as a global growth strategy to serve a variety of their firm‐specific objectives like accessing new markets, foreign strategic assets, and trade‐supporting infrastructure. As part of the locational analysis, a set of factors such as host country market, skill endowment and import intensity from India, came out to be important cross‐country pull factors for Indian overseas acquisitions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12404.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Mergers and acquisitions; multinationals;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blonigen, Bruce A, 1997. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Link between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 447-65, June.
- Kogut, Bruce & Chang, Sea Jin, 1991. "Technological Capabilities and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 401-13, August.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Abraham, Vinoj, 2004. "Overseas Mergers and Acquisitions by Indian Enterprises: Patterns and Motivations," MPRA Paper 17076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cantwell, John & Janne, Odile, 1999. "Technological globalisation and innovative centres: the role of corporate technological leadership and locational hierarchy1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 119-144, March.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007.
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, . "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," Working Papers 0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Wilbur Chung & Juan Alcácer, 2002. "Knowledge Seeking and Location Choice of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(12), pages 1534-1554, December.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2002.
"Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
2976, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002. "Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?," Kiel Working Papers 1122, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Abhinav Alakshendra, .
"Overseas Acquisition Versus Greenfield Foreign Investment: Which Internationalization Strategy is better for Indian Pharmaceutical Enterprises?,"
0607, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Alakshendra, Abhinav, 2006. "Overseas Acquisition versus Greenfield Foreign Investment: Which Internationalization Strategy is better for Indian Pharmaceutical Enterprises?," MPRA Paper 12339, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Christian Milelli & Françoise Hay, 2008. "Chinese and Indian firms’ entry into Europe: characteristics, impacts and policy implications," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-35, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Beena Saraswathy, 2010. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisations in India: Extent, Nature and Structure.July 2010," Working Papers id:3096, eSocialSciences.
- Kayam, Saime Suna & Hisarciklilar, Mehtap, 2009. "Determinants of Turkish FDI abroad," MPRA Paper 17813, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2008. "Indian Direct Investment in Developing Countries: Emerging Trends and Development Impacts," MPRA Paper 12323, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Julia Kubny & Florian Mölders & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2008. "Regional Integration and FDI in Emerging Markets," Kiel Working Papers 1418, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.