Auctions for Infrastructure Concessions with Demand Uncertainty and Unknown Costs
AbstractAuction mechanisms commonly used in practice for awarding infrastructure concession contracts induce a bias towards the selection of concessionaires who are optimistic about demand, but are not necessarily cost-efficient. This helps to explain the frequent renegotiation of concessions observed in practice. This paper shows that the fixed-term nature of contracts is the key element for selection errors, and it proposes a better alternative mechanism based on flexible-term contracts. This new auction mechanism reduces the probability of selection errors and contract renegotiation, and it is simple enough to constitute a good option for concessions in sectors like transport and public utilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12023.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
concessions; auctions; renegotiation; infrastructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, J.J., 1996.
"Game Theory and Empirical Economics: The Case of Auction Data,"
95.394, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1997. "Game theory and empirical economics: The case of auction data 1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1997.
"Highway Franchising: Pitfalls and Opportunities,"
Documentos de Trabajo
15, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Paul Klemperer, 1999.
"Auction Theory: A Guide to the Literature,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1999-W12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Klemperer, P., 1999. "Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature," Economics Papers 1999-w12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1999. "Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature," CEPR Discussion Papers 2163, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Auction Theory: A Guide to the Literature," Microeconomics 9903002, EconWPA.
- Robert H. Porter, 1992.
"The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions,"
NBER Working Papers
4185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Porter, Robert H, 1995. "The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Robert H. Porter, 1992. "The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions," Discussion Papers 1008, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hinojosa, Sergio & Gomez-Lobo, Andres, 2000. "Broad roads in a thin country - infrastructure concessions in Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2279, The World Bank.
- Holt, Charles A, Jr, 1980. "Competitive Bidding for Contracts under Alternative Auction Procedures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(3), pages 433-45, June.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Milgrom, Paul R, 1979. "A Convergence Theorem for Competitive Bidding with Differential Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 679-88, May.
- Wang, Ruqu, 2000. "Bidding and renegotiation in procurement auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1577-1597, August.
- Jofre-Bonet, Mireia & Pesendorfer, Martin, 2000. "Bidding behavior in a repeated procurement auction: A summary," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 1006-1020, May.
- J. Riley & E. Maskin, 1981.
"Optimal Auctions with Risk Averse Buyers,"
311, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Wilson, Robert, 1977. "A Bidding Model of Perfect Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 511-18, October.
- Riordan, Michael H & Sappington, David E M, 1987. "Awarding Monopoly Franchises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 375-87, June.
- José Antonio Trujillo del Valle, 2004. "Financiación de infraestructuras: Los riesgos y su mitigación," IDB Publications 48278, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Andrés Pereyra, 2003. "Marchas y contramarchas en la concesión de carreteras en Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1703, Department of Economics - dECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.