Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data
AbstractThe recent roll-out of fibre-optic cable suggests that the willingness of households in passed communities to subscribe to networked services is an important issue. This paper studies the determination of the demand for network subscription. Through a discrete choice model the effect of installation and rental price on the likelihood of subscription is analysed. The logit regression is based on choice experiment (stated preference)subscription data obtained from a national survey of households. Limitations of this preliminary work and suggestions for future research are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11936.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Broadband subscription demand;
Other versions of this item:
- Gary Madden & Michael Simpson, 1997. "Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1073-1078.
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bodnar & Peter Dilworth & Salvatore Iacono, Judith, 1988. "Cross-sectional analysis of residential telephone subscription in Canada," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 355-378.
- Park, Rolla Edward & Mitchell, Bridger M. & Wetzel, Bruce M. & Alleman, James H., 1983. "Charging for local telephone calls : How household characteristics affect the distribution of calls in the GTE Illinois experiment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 339-364, August.
- Madden, Gary & Bloch, Harry & Hensher, David, 1993.
"Australian telephone network subscription and calling demands: evidence from a stated-preference experiment,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 207-230, October.
- Madden, Gary G & Bloch, Harry & Hensher, David, 1993. "Australian telephone network subscription and calling demands: evidence from a stated-preference experiment," MPRA Paper 10681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary, 1995. "Experimentation in Economics: An Overview of the Stated-Preference Experimental Design Method," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(64), pages 120-35, June.
- Baranes, Edmond & Bourreau, Marc, 2005.
"An Economist's Guide to Local Loop Unbundling,"
2440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sunada, Mitsuru & Noguchi, Masato & Ohashi, Hiroshi & Okada, Yosuke, 2011. "Coverage area expansion, customer switching, and household profiles in the Japanese broadband access market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 12-23, March.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J. & Coble-Neal, Grant, 1999.
"Subscriber churn in the Australian ISP market,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 195-207, July.
- Srinuan, Chalita & Srinuan, Pratompong & Bohlin, Erik, 2010. "The Mobile Broadband and Fixed Broadband Battle in Swedish market: Exploring complementary or substitution," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 33, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita & Maria Alessandra Rossi, 2011. "The Nature, Timing and Impact of Broadband Policies: a Panel Analysis of 30 OECD Countries," Department of Economics University of Siena 615, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Michael Demoussis & Nicholas Giannakopoulos, 2006. "Facets of the digital divide in Europe: Determination and extent of internet use," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 235-246.
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita & Maria Alessandra Rossi, 2009. "Whither Broadband Policy? In Search of Selective Intervention," Department of Economics University of Siena 567, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Gruber, Harald & Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2011. "Procompetitive infrastructure sector regulation and diffusion of innovation: The case of broadband networks," 22nd European Regional ITS Conference, Budapest 2011: Innovative ICT Applications - Emerging Regulatory, Economic and Policy Issues 52161, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Mélisande Cardona & Anton Schwarz & B. Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2009. "Demand estimation and market definition for broadband Internet services," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 70-95, February.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J & Simpson, Michael, 1997.
"Information inequality and broadband network access: an analysis of Australian household data,"
12062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott & Simpson, Michael, 1996. "Information Inequality and Broadband Network Access: An Analysis of Australian Household Data," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 1049-66.
- Pratompong Srinuan & Chalita Srinuan & Erik Bohlin, 2011. "The Mobile Broadband and Fixed Broadband Battle in Swedish Market: Complementary or substitution?," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/36, European University Institute.
- Manit Satitsamitpong & Tokio Otsuka & Toshiya Jitsuzumi & Hitoshi Mitomo, 2012. "An Analysis of Demand-based Factors for Broadband Migration," Applied Economics Journal, Kasetsart University, Faculty of Economics, Center for Applied Economic Research, vol. 19(2), pages 1-17, December.
- Huang, Ching-I, 2008.
"Intra-Household Effects on Demand for Telephone Service: Empirical Evidence,"
6813, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ching-I Huang, 2013. "Intra-household effects on demand for telephone service: Empirical evidence," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 231-261, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.