Efficiency and Sustainability of Micro Finance
AbstractThe objective of this study has been to estimate the efficiency and sustainability of microfinance institution working in the South Asian countries such as Bangladesh, Pakistan and India. For the efficiency analysis we used non parametric Data Envelopment Analysis. We considered both inputs oriented and output oriented methods by assuming constant returns to scale and variable returns to scale technologies. While conducting DEA analysis using single country data we found that eight MFIs from Pakistan, six MFIs from Bangladesh and five MFIs from India are at the efficient frontier under variable returns to scale. The technical efficiency figures for Pakistan, Bangladesh and India are 0.395, 0.087, and 0.28, respectively, while average pure technical efficiencies for these countries respectively range between 0.713-0.823, 0.175-0.547 and 0.413-0.452. Three countries combine analysis revealed that there are two efficient MFIs under CRS and five efficient MFIs under VRS assumption in these countries. Out of these efficient MFIs three -Annesa, BARC and Grameen Bank, belong to Bangladesh, and two MFIs - Bodhana and Pushtikar, are from India. No MFI from Pakistan was found operating on the efficient frontier. The analysis further reveals that the inefficiencies of MFIs in Pakistan, India and Bangladesd are mainly of technical nature. The results have an important policy implication that in order to improve the efficiency of the MFIs there is need to enhance the managerial skills and improve technology. This could be done by imparting training. Since Grameen bank is the leading MFIs in the world we can adopt its model according to the country specific requirements. Particularly, the lagging countries like Pakistan and India require special training programmes in the field of microfinance management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11674.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
microfinance institution (MFI); efficiency; Data Envelopment Analysis; Bangladesh; Pakistan; India; South Asia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N25 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Asia including Middle East
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sajeda Amin & Ashok S. Rai & Giorgio Topa, 1999.
"Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangladesh,"
CID Working Papers
28, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Amin, Sajeda & Rai, Ashok S. & Topa, Giorgio, 2003. "Does microcredit reach the poor and vulnerable? Evidence from northern Bangladesh," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 59-82, February.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 2000. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Nothern Bangladesh," Papers 28, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 1999. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangldesh," Working Papers 99-06, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker & Omar Haider Chowdhury & Daniel L. Millimet, 1998. "Credit Programs for the Poor and the Nutritional Status of Children in Rural Bangladesh," Working Papers 98-4, Brown University, Department of Economics, revised 16 Jan 1998.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1976. "On the Statistical Estimation of Parametric Frontier Production Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 238-39, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Richmond, J, 1974. "Estimating the Efficiency of Production," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(2), pages 515-21, June.
- Jacoby, Hanan G, 1994. "Borrowing Constraints and Progress through School: Evidence from Peru," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 151-60, February.
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos & Mar Molinero, Cecilio, 2007. "Microfinance institutions and efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-142, April.
- Ergun Dogan & Dietrich Fausten, 2003. "Productivity and Technical Change in Malaysian Banking: 1989–1998," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 205-237, September.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker & Omar Haider Chowdhury & Daniel L. Millimet, 2003. "Credit Programs for the Poor And the Health Status of Children in Rural Bangladesh," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(1), pages 87-118, February.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Seale, James M, Jr, 1990. "Estimating Stochastic Frontier Systems with Unbalanced Panel Data: The Case of Floor Tile Manufactories in Egypt," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 59-74, January-M.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
- Hossain, Mahabub, 1988. "Credit for alleviation of rural poverty: the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh," Research reports 65, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2010.
"Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan,"
Finance Working Papers
23068, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2008. "Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(3), pages 287-313.
- Kalbe Abbas & Manzoor Hussain Malik, 2010. "Impact of Financial Liberalisation and Deregulation on Banking Sector in Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2010:64, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- M Nadiya & Francisco Olivares-Polanco & T Radha Ramanan, 2012. "Dangers in Mismanaging the Factors Affecting the Operational Self-Sustainability (OSS) of Indian Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) - An Exploration into Indian Microfinance Crisis," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(3), pages 448-462, July.
- Ahmad, Usman, 2011. "Efficiency Analysis of Micro-finance Institutions in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 34215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben Bassem, 2008. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions in the Mediterranean: An Application of DEA," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 343-354, September.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Benito Sanchez & Geoffrey Ngene, 2012. "Scales and technical efficiencies in Middle East and North African (MENA) micro financial institutions," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 157-170, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.