[Institutional Causality of Soft Budget Constraints in Chinese Higher Education Sector and its Implications for Governance]
AbstractA wide range of financial distress has emerged in Chinese higher education sector, and this paper aims to explain it. We pointed out that soft budget constraint is the root cause of the financial distress; our main tasks are to identify the institutional causality of soft budget constraint and its applications for governance. We concluded three institutional causalities: quasi-public goods nature of higher educational serves; affiliated relationship between government and colleges; misaligned of the objection-incentive arrangement for college chairman. Based on the above three points, we provided some solutions to hardening the budget constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11500.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
soft budget constraints; institutional causality; governance; higher education finance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance; Financial Aid
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- Nicholas Barr, 2003. "Financing higher education: lessons from the UK debate," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 287, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Milton Friedman, 1997. "Public Schools: Make Them Private," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 341-344.
- Kornai, Janos, 1998. "The Concept of the Soft Budget Constraint Syndrome in Economic Theory," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-17, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.