The Effects of Managerial Turnover: Evidence from Coach Dismissals in Italian Soccer Teams
AbstractIn this paper sport data are used to study the effects of manager replacement on firm performance. Using match results of the major Italian soccer league (“Serie A”) we analyze the effects of coach (manager) changes in terms of team performance. From our preliminary estimates, including year and team fixed effects, it emerges that changing the coach produces a positive effect on a number of measures of team performance. However, this effect turns out to be statistically insignificant once we take into account the fact that the firing of a coach is not an exogenous event, but it is triggered by a “dip” in team performance. Using as an instrument for coach change the number of remaining matches in the season (which is a proxy for the residual length of the coach contract) Two-Stages Least Squares estimations do not show any significant effect of coach change on team performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11030.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Managerial Turnover; Dismissal; Performance evaluation; Sport economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2008-10-21 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SPO-2008-10-21 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B Frick & R Simmons, 2005. "The impact of managerial quality on organizational performance: evidence from German soccer," Working Papers 566927, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K, 1995. " Performance Changes Following Top Management Dismissals," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-57, September.
- Ashenfelter, Orley C, 1978. "Estimating the Effect of Training Programs on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 47-57, February.
- Vincenzo Scoppa, 2008.
"Are subjective evaluations biased by social factors or connections? An econometric analysis of soccer referee decisions,"
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 123-140, August.
- Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2008. "Are Subjective Evaluations Biased by Social Factors or Connections? An Econometric Analysis of Soccer Referee Decisions," MPRA Paper 15819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Bonnier, Karl-Adam & Bruner, Robert F., 1989. "An analysis of stock price reaction to management change in distressed firms," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 95-106, February.
- Warner, Jerold B. & Watts, Ross L. & Wruck, Karen H., 1988. "Stock prices and top management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 461-492, January.
- Hoffler, Felix & Sliwka, Dirk, 2003. "Do new brooms sweep clean? When and why dismissing a manager increases the subordinates' performance," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 877-890, October.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3702 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2008.
"The impact of managerial quality on organizational performance: evidence from German soccer,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(7), pages 593-600.
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2007. "The Impact of Managerial Quality on Organizational Performance: Evidence from German Soccer," Working Papers 0708, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Huson, Mark R. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Parrino, Robert, 2004. "Managerial succession and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 237-275, November.
- Koning, R.H., 2000. "An econometric evaluation of the firing of a coach on team performance," Research Report 00F40, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Franz Wirl & Simon Sagmeister, 2008. "Changing of the guards: New coaches in Austria’s premier football league," Empirica, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 267-278, July.
- repec:dgr:umamer:2001018 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:3596 is not listed on IDEAS
- Audas, Rick & Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2002. "The impact of managerial change on team performance in professional sports," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 633-650.
- Bruinshoofd, Allard & ter Weel, Bas, 2003.
"Manager to go? Performance dips reconsidered with evidence from Dutch football,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 233-246, July.
- Rick Audas & John Goddard & W. Glenn Rowe, 2006. "Modelling employment durations of NHL head coaches: turnover and post-succession performance," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 293-306.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The bosses' pay con-trick
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2011-10-28 09:21:13
- Reshuffles: the Brendan Rodgers problem
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2012-09-04 14:06:25
- Mühlheußer, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk & Hentschel, Sandra, 2013.
"The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance. The Role of Team Heterogeneity,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79825, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Sandra Hentschel & Gerd Mühlheusser & Dirk Sliwka, 2012. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance. The Role of Team Heterogeneity," CESifo Working Paper Series 3950, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hentschel, Sandra & Muehlheusser, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk, 2012. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance: The Role of Team Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 6884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bas Weel, 2011. "Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986–2004," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(3), pages 279-303, September.
- C. Detotto & D. Paolini, 2012. "Do managerial skills matter? An analysis of the impact of managerial features on performance for the Italian football," Working Paper CRENoS 201220, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Bas ter Weel, 2011. "Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986-2004," CPB Discussion Paper 166, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.