Equilibrium asset prices and bubbles in a continuous time OLG model
AbstractIn a Yaari-Blanchard overlapping generations endowment economy, and drawing on the equivalence between Radner (R) and Arrow-Debreu (AD) equi- libria, we prove that equilibrium AD prices have an explicit representation as a double integral equation. This allows for an analytic characterization of the relationship between life-cycle and cohort heterogeneity and asset prices. For a simple distribution, we prove that bubbles may exist, and derive conditions for ruling them out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10701.
Date of creation: 22 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
overlapping generations; asset pricing; bubbles; integral equations; LambertW function;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paulo Brito & Rui Dilao, 2006.
"Equilibrium price dynamics in an overlapping-generations exchange economy,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2006/27, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Brito, Paulo & Dilão, Rui, 2010. "Equilibrium price dynamics in an overlapping-generations exchange economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 343-355, May.
- Brito, Paulo & Dilao, Rui, 2006. "Equilibrium price dynamics in an overlapping-generations exchange economy," MPRA Paper 699, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cass & Menahem E. Yaari, 1965. "Individual Saving, Aggregate Capital Accumulation, and Efficient Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 198, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- S. Demichelis & H. Polemarchakis, 2007. "The determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 461-475, September.
- John Geanakoplos, 2008. "Overlapping Generations Models of General Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002225, David K. Levine.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Polemarchakis, H., 1991. "Overlapping generations," CORE Discussion Papers 1991031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geanakoplos, John D. & Polemarchakis, Heraklis M., 1991. "Overlapping generations," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 35, pages 1899-1960 Elsevier.
- Shell, Karl, 1971. "Notes on the Economics of Infinity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 1002-11, Sept.-Oct.
- repec:fth:louvco:9131 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Geanakoplos, 2008. "Overlapping Generations Models of General Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1663, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.