Local Costs of Distribution, International Trade Costs and Micro Evidence on the Law of One Price
AbstractObserved trade flows provide one metric to gauge the degree of international goods market segmentation. Deviations from the law of one price provide another. New survey data on retail prices for a broad cross section of goods across 13 EU countries, compiled by Crucini, Telmer and Zachariadis (2005), show that (i) the average dispersion of law of one price deviations across all goods is 28 percent and (ii) the range of that dispersion across goods is large, varying from 2 percent to 83 percent. Quantitative multi-country Ricardian models, a la Eaton and Kortum, use data on bilateral trade volumes to estimate international trade barriers or trade costs. This paper investigates whether the degree of international goods market segmentation implied by these models can account for observed cross-country dispersion in prices. When heterogeneous and asymmetric trade costs are carefully calibrated to match observed bilateral trade volumes, the model can account for 85 percent of the average dispersion of law of one price deviations found in the data. However, it generates only 21 percent of the good by good variation in price dispersion. The model is augmented to permit heterogeneity in local costs of distribution - across goods and countries - and is calibrated to match data on distribution margins. While the augmented model can reproduce 96.5 percent of the average dispersion of law of one price deviations, it can match only 32 percent of the variation in that dispersion. Heterogeneity in trade costs, and in local distribution costs, cannot account for observed heterogeneity in the dispersion of law of one price deviations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10257.
Date of creation: 12 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Trade; international trade costs; distribution costs; law of one price; price dispersion;
Other versions of this item:
- Rahul Giri, 2010. "Local Costs of Distribution, International Trade Costs and Micro Evidence on the Law of One Price," Working Papers 1001, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Giri, Rahul, 2008. "Local Costs of Distribution, International Trade Costs and Micro Evidence on the Law of One Price," MPRA Paper 11006, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Sep 2008.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2008-09-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2008-09-05 (International Trade)
- NEP-MAC-2008-09-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2008-09-05 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burstein, Ariel Tomas & Neves, Joao C & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2001.
"Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2944, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burstein, Ariel T. & Neves, Joao C. & Rebelo, Sergio, 2003. "Distribution costs and real exchange rate dynamics during exchange-rate-based stabilizations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1189-1214, September.
- Ariel T. Burstein & Joao C. Neves & Sergio Rebelo, 2000. "Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilizations," RCER Working Papers 473, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ariel T. Burstein & Joao C. Neves & Sergio Rebelo, 2000. "Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based-Stabilizations," NBER Working Papers 7862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Robert E. Cumby, 1996. "Forecasting Exchange Rates and Relative Prices with the Hamburger Standard: Is What You Want What You Get With McParity?," NBER Working Papers 5675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Dedola, Luca, 2005. "A macroeconomic model of international price discrimination," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 129-155, September.
- Francesco Caselli, 2005.
"Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0667, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mario J. Crucini & Chris I. Telmer & Marios Zachariadis, 2001.
"Understanding European Real Exchange Rates,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0120, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Michael E. Waugh, 2009.
"International trade and income differences,"
435, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2006.
"Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the sensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates,"
247, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Campa, Jose M., 2006. "Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the insensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates," IESE Research Papers D/625, IESE Business School.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 2006. "Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs and the Insensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 5650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linda S. Goldberg & José Manuel Campa, 2006. "Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs, and the Sensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 12121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Linda L. Tesar, 2009. "Border Effect or Country Effect? Seattle May Not Be So Far from Vancouver After All," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 219-41, January.
- Sanyal, Kalyan K & Jones, Ronald W, 1982. "The Theory of Trade in Middle Products," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 16-31, March.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Wolf, Holger, 2001.
" The Law of One Price--A Case Study,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 545-58, December.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2001-11, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers & Shing-Yi B. Wang, 2003. "Revisiting the Border: an assessment of the law of one price using very disaggregated consumer price data," International Finance Discussion Papers 777, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994.
"Pricing in International Markets: Lessons From The Economist,"
NBER Working Papers
4806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994. "Pricing in International Markets: Lessons from The Economist," Working Papers 94-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Lucas, Robert Jr., 2007.
"General equilibrium analysis of the Eaton-Kortum model of international trade,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 1726-1768, September.
- Fernando Alvarez & Robert E. Lucas, 2005. "General Equilibrium Analysis of the Eaton-Kortum Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 11764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 2004. "European product market integration after the euro," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 19(39), pages 347-384, 07.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Haiyan Deng & Alyson C. Ma & Hengyong Mo, 2005. "World Trade Flows: 1962-2000," NBER Working Papers 11040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Sposi, 2013. "Trade barriers and the relative price tradables," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 139, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Jörgensen, Christian & Persson, Morten, 2013. "The Market for Tractors in the EU: Price Differences and Convergence," Factor Markets Working Papers 145, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Betts, Caroline & Giri, Rahul & Verma, Rubina, 2013. "Trade, Reform, And Structural Transformation in South Korea," MPRA Paper 49540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.