The Birth of Brand: 4000 Years of Branding History
AbstractThis paper seeks to show that brands are as old as civilization. It derives evidence of branding, in various forms, from important historical periods beginning 2250 BCE in the Indus Valley through to 300 BCE Greece. This evidence is compared with modern research directed toward developing a meaning of “brand”. We observe a gradual transition from a more utilitarian provision of information regarding origins and quality to the addition of more complex brand image characteristics over time. Including status/power, added value and finally, the development of brand personality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10169.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Business History Vol. 50.No. 4(2008): pp. 419-432
brand; proto-brand; ancient world; brand personality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2008-08-31 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IND-2008-08-31 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2008-08-31 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCracken, Grant, 1986. " Culture and Consumption: A Theoretical Account of the Structure and Movement of the Cultural Meaning of Consumer Goods," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 71-84, June.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Belk, Russell W, 1988. " Possessions and the Extended Self," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 139-68, September.
- Pierre Volle, 2011. "Marketing : comprendre l'origine historique," Post-Print halshs-00638621, HAL.
- Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2012. "What affects the most to the recall and recognition of brand symbols?," MPRA Paper 39098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2012. "Consumers recall and recognition for brand symbols," MPRA Paper 45141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.