Forecasting stochastic Volatility using the Kalman filter: An Application to Canadian Interest Rates and Price-Earnings Ratio
AbstractIn this paper, we aim at forecasting the stochastic volatility of key financial market variables with the Kalman filter using stochastic models developed by Taylor (1986, 1994) and Nelson (1990). First, we compare a stochastic volatility model relying on the Kalman filter to the conditional volatility estimated with the GARCH model. We apply our models to Canadian short-term interest rates. When comparing the profile of the interest rate stochastic volatility to the conditional one, we find that the omission of a constant term in the stochastic volatility model might have a perverse effect leading to a scaling problem, a problem often overlooked in the literature. Stochastic volatility seems to be a better forecasting tool than GARCH(1,1) since it is less conditioned by autoregressive past information. Second, we filter the S&P500 price-earnings (P/E) ratio in order to forecast its value. To make this forecast, we postulate a rational expectations process but our method may accommodate other data generating processes. We find that our forecast is close to a GARCH(1,1) profile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Département des sciences administratives, UQO in its series RePAd Working Paper Series with number UQO-DSA-wp032011.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 12 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon Lucien Brault, 101 rue Saint Jean-Bosco, Gatineau (Québec) J8Y 3G5
Phone: (819) 595-3900
Fax: (819) 773-1747
Web page: http://www.repad.org/
More information through EDIRC
Stochastic volatility; Kalman filter; P/E ratio forecast; Interest rate forecast.;
Other versions of this item:
- Théoret, Raymond & Racicot, François-Éric, 2010. "Forecasting stochastic Volatility using the Kalman filter: an application to Canadian Interest Rates and Price-Earnings Ratio," MPRA Paper 35911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2011-04-30 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2011-04-30 (Forecasting)
- NEP-ORE-2011-04-30 (Operations Research)
- NEP-RMG-2011-04-30 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Christoffersen, Peter F. & Diebold, Francis X., 2005.
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005. "Volatility Forecasting," NBER Working Papers 11188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005. "Volatility Forecasting," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-011, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Luca Benzoni, 2010.
CREATES Research Papers
2010-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Daniel B. Nelson & Dean P. Foster, 1994.
"Asypmtotic Filtering Theory for Univariate Arch Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Foster, Dean P, 1994. "Asymptotic Filtering Theory for Univariate ARCH Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 1-41, January.
- Fornari, Fabio & Mele, Antonio, 2006. "Approximating volatility diffusions with CEV-ARCH models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 931-966, June.
- François-Éric Racicot & Raymond Théoret, 2010. "Hedge Fund Returns, Kalman Filter, and Errors-in-Variables," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 38(3), pages 377-378, September.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200508 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Calmes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.