Value of intangibles arising from R&D activities
AbstractThis paper develops an empirical approach using econometric techniques for panel data which aims to contribute to the reduction/elimination of the deviation between the book and market value of firms. Based on 20 of the firms with the largest number of patents granted between 1996 and 2006, the results show that: (i) the increase in the return on equity following from an increase in the share of investment in R&D is greater in the long run; (ii) there is a positive relationship between the results (and the value of firms) and R&D activities; (iii) by updating the additional periodical results generated by investment in R&D, the present value of the intangible asset can be determined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 372.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
R&D; Financial information; Value of intangibles; Market value; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-05-02 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2010-05-02 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.