Open Innovation in firms located in an intermediate technology developed country
AbstractOpen Innovation is a flow of inputs and outputs of knowledge and technology which favours, at the firm level, the acceleration of the innovation process, as well as the establishment and penetration of firms in new markets. This type of innovation incorporates technological innovation from internal and external sources, as well as different ways to access markets. The empirical studies in the area reveal that there is a significant bias in favour of countries of technological frontier, such as the United States, Finland, the Netherlands, Germany or Sweden. The present study aims at covering this gap in literature by examining firms in a country of intermediate technology development – Portugal. Based on 70 innovative firms located in Portugal we found that open innovation is only partially diffused throughout these firms. In addition, open innovation is more widespread in terms of external absorption of knowledge/ technology rather than in terms of knowledge/technology transfer. This result may indicate lack of awareness about the economic potential of making available to third parties the technologies internally created. This may require a different approach to organization/management of R&D, in particular, and of innovation, in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 314.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Open Innovation; Intermediate technology development; Portugal.;
Other versions of this item:
- Mariana Lopes & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2009. "Open Innovation in firms located in an intermediate technology developed country," UITT Working Papers 2009-03-wp4, INESC Porto, Unidade de Inovação e Transferência de Tecnologia(UITT).
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2009-03-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2009-03-14 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2009-03-14 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2009-03-14 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2009-03-14 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.