Effective Demand: Securing the Foundations
AbstractThis paper is a contribution to a symposium mutually reviewing papers on Keynes's principle of effective demand as set out in The General Theory, by Allain (2009. Effective demand and short-term adjustments in the General Theory, Review of Political Economy, vol. 21, 1–22), Hartwig (2007. Keynes vs. the Post Keynesians on the principle of effective demand, European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, vol. 14, 725–39), and Hayes (2007. The point of effective demand, Review of Political Economy, 19 (1), 55–80). The purpose of the symposium was to address some key differences of interpretation that continue to undermine the reception of Keynes's central idea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Post Keynesian Economics Study Group (PKSG) in its series Working Papers with number PKWP1210.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
equilibrium; expectations; aggregate supply; aggregate demand;
Other versions of this item:
- Olivier Allain, 2011. "Effective Demand: Securing the Foundations," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00606976, HAL.
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Hayes, 2007. "The Point of Effective Demand," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 55-80.
- Olivier Allain, 2009.
"Effective Demand and Short-term Adjustments in the General Theory,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22.
- Olivier Allain, 2006. "Effective demand and short-term adjustments in the General Theory," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla06018, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Hayes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.