How to Reduce Unemployment: Notes on Macro-Economic Stability and Dynamics
AbstractIn this paper, I explore the out-of-equilibrium macro-economic dynamic behaviour of the Farmer’s (2010d) ME-NA model. Specifically, preserving the assumption that microeconomic adjustments are instantaneous, I build a dynamic model in continuous time that describes the macro-economic adjustments of the value of output and the interest rate. Within this framework, I show that the model economy has a unique stationary solution whose dynamics is locally stable. Moreover, simulating the model economy under the baseline calibration, I show that the adjustments towards the steady-state equilibrium occur through endogenous convergent oscillations while the most promising way out from a finance-induced recession combines a fiscal expansion with interventions aimed at altering the trade-off between holding risky and safe assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy in its series Discussion Papers with number 2010/106.
Date of creation: 10 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Old Keynesian Economics; ME-NA Schedules; Short-Run Macroeconomic Fluctuations.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-12-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-12-04 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-94, October.
- Farmer, Roger E.A., 2010. "How to reduce unemployment: A new policy proposal," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 557-572, July.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2007.
"Aggregate Demand and Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
13406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farmer, Roger, 2010. "Expectations, Employment and Prices," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195397901.
- Chang, Winston W & Smyth, David J, 1972. "Stability and Instability of IS-LM Equilibrium," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 372-84, November.
- Paolo Gelain & Marco Guerrazzi, 2010. "A DSGE Model from the Old Keynesian Economics: An Empirical Investigation," CDMA Working Paper Series 201014, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2011.
"Confidence Crashes and Animal Spirits,"
2011 Meeting Papers
603, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Marco Guerrazzi, 2010. "Stochastic Dynamics and Matching in the Old Keynesian Economics: A Rationale for the Shimer's Puzzle," Discussion Papers 2010/95, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Farmer, Roger E A, 2009. "Fiscal Policy Can Reduce Unemployment: But There is a Better Alternative," CEPR Discussion Papers 7526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Varian, Hal R, 1977. " The Stability of a Disequilibrium IS-LM Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(2), pages 260-70.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.