Electricity Demand in Wholesale Italian Market
AbstractIn this paper we pursue two objectives: firstly we construct a theory based behavioral model of electricity demand in the Italian market; secondly we measure demand elasticity at hourly level, directly from consumer behavior. This is a novel approach providing the first attempt in the literature to estimate demand elasticity using individual demand bid data, in the Italian Power Exchange (IPEX). Econometric estimation allows us to identify robust results, showing that elasticity varies significantly with: time of the day; day of the week; season of the year; pattern of line congestion, as well as according to the level of equilibrium price. This has a policy implication: fostering more competition on the supply side could yield lower equilibrium prices and proportionately much higher quantities, for a lower offer curve, shifted to the right, would intersect a flatter portion of the demand curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica in its series Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica with number 108/2012.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 15 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-11-24 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-IND-2012-11-24 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1990. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal: The Case of Private Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 379-409, March.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & José María Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2009.
"Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information,"
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & López-Otero, Xiral, 2012. "Estimation of elasticity price of electricity with incomplete information," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 627-633.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2010. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 01-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Massimo Filippini, 1999. "Swiss residential demand for electricity," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(8), pages 533-538.
- Lester D. Taylor, 1975. "The Demand for Electricity: A Survey," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(1), pages 74-110, Spring.
- Marvin J. Horowitz, 2007. "Changes in Electricity Demand in the United States from the 1970s to 2003," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 93-120.
- David M. Newbery, 2005.
"Electricity liberalization in Britain: The quest for a satisfactory wholesale market design,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 43-70.
- Newbery, D., 2004. "Electricity Liberalisation in Britain: the quest for a satisfactory wholesale market design," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0469, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2008. "What changes energy consumption? Prices and public pressures," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(3), pages 636-663.
- Kuo S. Huang & Sophia Wu Huang, 2012. "Consumer welfare effects of increased food and energy prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(19), pages 2527-2536, July.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Jerry A. Hausman, 1980. "Correcting for Truncation Bias in the Analysis of Experiments in Time-of-Day Pricing of Electricity," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 131-142, Spring.
- Simona Bigerna & Carlo Andrea BOLLINO, 2013. "Hourly Electricity Demand in Italian Market," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 121/2013, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ubaldo Pizzoli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.