Analysis of the President`s Budget for 2013
AbstractThis study presents an evaluation of the National Expenditure Program for 2013. First, this paper projects that the fiscal targets set out in the Budget of Expenditures and Sources of Financing (BESF) for 2013 are likely to be met. Specifically, fiscal deficit is projected to be PHP 9.6 billion lower than the BESF at PHP 231 billion, while government revenue is estimated to be equal to PHP 1.8 trillion in 2013 which is also higher than the BESF projection. This is despite the expectation that the BOC collections and nontax revenues will be just equal to the 2011 and 2012 levels. Additional revenues is thus sourced from the BIR collections, which is estimated to reach PHP 1.26 trillion in 2013, exceeding the President`s Budget`s estimate of PHP 1.24 trillion. Second, although a more balanced distribution of the budget between the social services and economic services sectors is emphasized in the 2013 National Expenditure Program, the services sector still accounts for more than half of the increase in expenditure program in 2013. Finally, the improving debt profile of the country will continue in 2013. National government borrowing will continue to be biased in favor of domestic borrowings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2013-31.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
fiscal deficit; tax effort; fiscal sustainability; expenditure program; Philippines; budget share; revenue program; financing program;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2013-07-15 (Public Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2013-07-15 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manasan, Rosario G., 2011. "Analysis of the President`s Budget for 2012," Discussion Papers DP 2011-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- World Bank, 2005. "Philippines : Meeting the Infrastructure Challenges," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8459, The World Bank.
- Manasan, Rosario G., 2010. "Financing the MDGs and Inclusive Growth in the Time of Fiscal Consolidation," Discussion Papers DP 2010-34, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Manasan, Rosario G., 2011. "Expanding Social Health Insurance Coverage: New Issues and Challenges," Discussion Papers DP 2011-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Briones, Roehlano M. & David, Cristina C. & Inocencio, Arlene B. & Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Geron, Maria Piedad S. & Ballesteros, Marife M., 2012. "Monitoring and Evaluation of Agricultural Policy Indicators," Discussion Papers DP 2012-26, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Parel, Danileen Kristel C., 2013. "Amending the Sin Tax Law," Discussion Papers DP 2013-19, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Anand, Ritu & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1989. "Inflation and the Financing of Government Expenditure: An Introductory Analysis with an Application to Turkey," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 3(1), pages 17-38, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.