Review of Philippine Migration Laws and Regulations: Gains, Gaps, Prospects
AbstractThe Philippines has often been cited as the global model in managing international labor migration. Despite the complexity of our management infrastructure, however, some gaps still remain. This paper reviews the Philippine legal and administrative framework governing the recruitment, documentation, and deployment of Filipino workers abroad. The study finds that although the provisions of the landmark legislation RA 8042, as amended by RA 9422 and 10022, are laudable, some of the key provisions are not absolute. Furthermore, the study finds the need to further strengthen policy implementation as well as the implementing capacity of government agencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2011-37.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
government policies and regulation; Philippines; international labor migration;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIG-2012-03-21 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-REG-2012-03-21 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Gonzales, Kathrina G., 2013.
"Managing International Labor Migration in ASEAN: Themes from a Six-Country Study,"
Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies
DP 2013-26, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aniceto Orbeta, Jr. & Kathrina Gonzales, 2013. "Managing International Labor Migration in ASEAN : Themes from a Six-Country Study," Labor Economics Working Papers 23422, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aniceto Orbeta, Jr. & Kathrina Gonzales, 2013. "Managing International Labor Migration in ASEAN : Themes from a Six-Country Study," Governance Working Papers 23422, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.